upper ball joint

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 02:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default upper ball joint

So i need to replace my upper ball joints on my 2002 camaro. 3.8 v6. If anyone has done this or can tell me what I need to do please reply to this post. Wondering if I really have to take everything apart and out to do this like the book is saying

Old 08-25-2012, 05:12 AM
1st Gear Member

I had a ball joint on my Silverado replaced. Had it done at the dealership and it cost me about $65 parts+labor. Just somethin to think about as special tools are probably required.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:43 AM
3rd Gear Member

A simple internet search shows that the replacement upper ball joints are bolt in. So, if the original is not bolted in (which would require simple hand tools to remove) then it is riveted in, in which case you would need to use an air chisel to chisel the heads off and knock the remainder out, or drill them out. Yank a wheel off and have a look, should be apparent what you are going to need by looking at one. You will have to remove at least the wheel and then the upper ball joint from the steering knuckle.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

its pretty simple. take off the wheel, unbolt the knuckle from the ball joint, grind off the rivets its much easier, and beat the crap out of it with a hammer. then just bolt in the new ball joint using some loctite, bolt up the knuckle and the wheel and your done. also make sure your using some jackstands your head is going to be in the wheel well.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok well i just did what the book told me. Remove the shock absorber and upper control arm and bracket from the vehicle and drill through the rivets on the old balljoint and replaced with bolts and nuts. then put back into the car. so now im doing the lower ball joints and i have rented a ball joint press but now im confused on how to put it all together to press it out. BLAH!!! i dont want to beat it out with a hammer cause im afraid of damaging lower control arm or something any ideas or pic how this ball joint press fits together to get it out?

Old 08-25-2012, 04:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Where's the fun in taking it to the dealership. And 65 bucks for parts and labor added on....Id save bout 500 bucks doing it myself and learning something new. No disrespect just saying...

Old 08-25-2012, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, took the truck in for an alignment, which I obviously dont have the equipment to do myself While it was on the rack found the bad ball joint. He said it was only $65 to replace, so instead of taking it down, doing it myself, making a new appointment for the alignment, i figured $65 was well worth saving me the trouble. Part was $35, labor was $30.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the tool that you rent for the lower just dont work. and you can torch and beat the hell out of it and she wont budge!!!! After 3 hrs straight of trying air hammers, heat and a BFH nothing worked i took it in and for 50 bucks they did it.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok so i agree with you the rental tool couldnt do crap. so i ended up smacking it down and out with a hammer and after the 5 hit it popped out...so now im trying to figure out how to put the new one in. If i had a snapon bjp1 master ball joint kit id be good but i dont. theres a grease fitting on the bottom of the new one so maybe if i use the sleeve from my cheesy rental and put it around the bottom of the ball joint and place a piece of wood under that i can pound it up into place. dont know gona try. any suggestions please reply

Old 08-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

use some grease it will help it slide up in there also go in the hole of the lca and remove any rust.

Quick Reply: upper ball joint