UPDATE: Finally got spark and gas pressure BUT...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 08:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default UPDATE: Finally got spark and gas pressure BUT...

My 96 3.8L still isnt starting! It cranks but no start. I have spark, I have fuel pressure at the regulator, I hear the fuel pump. I have brand new spark plugs, coils, spark plug cables, fuel filter, oil changed, radiator and the car still wont start! Any idea guys? I JUST replaced the cam shaft sensor and thats what gave me spark... I am running out of ideas, I hope you guys have some because Ive been through it all.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:38 PM
4th Gear Member

Does it even attemp to fire when it cranks? Are your injectors spraying? You may need to get a noid light to test them.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:44 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

how much fuel pressure? check your injector fuse/s. have you tried scanning for trouble codes? might try and spray some gas in the thottle body or some guys use starting fluid. if it starts for a second then you know the injectors are not being told to fire.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:57 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AnalyzeFaith
And what would stop the injectors from firing?
fuses!

Old 11-27-2010, 08:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

And what would stop the injectors from firing?

Old 11-27-2010, 09:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Anything else that could prevent my car from starting?

Old 11-27-2010, 09:52 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes but more info is needed. fuel and spark are needed. timing of the spark is essential, as is the amount and quality of fuel. so like i said if you introduce fuel to the throttle body and it persuades the motor to run ,even for a short time, then you know its a fuel problem. that will narrow the possibilities. if you have not unhooked the battery i would recommend that you scan it for trouble codes. once you do that write the code numbers down if there are any and let us know what they are.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:10 AM
Overdrive Member

just FYI your cam sensor does not have anything to do with the ignition system!! It is part of the fuel system and will not keep you from starting. Even if it is unplugged your car will go into limp home mode (basicly open loop) and fire all injectors at the same time.

I agree with others here get a noid light and check the injectors.

Massey

Old 11-28-2010, 02:12 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Alright I checked everything out. This is whats going on, with starter fluid my car starts perfectly fine, I check my injector fuse and its blown. Replace it and it blows as soon as I turn my key to the on position. Obviously its a short but where can I trace it too?

Old 11-28-2010, 09:44 AM
4th Gear Member

Unplug all the injectors and replace fuse. See if it blows, if not, then plug in one injector at a time to find out which one is causing it to blow. Then look at the wiring for that injector or the injector itself.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Finally got spark and gas pressure BUT...