Turbo!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Default Turbo!!!!

Considering putting a turbo on my 94 Z/28 with the LT1 just wanted to see what kits are available and how hard is the installation / placement of tge turbo? What kind of prices am I looking at? How hard is the tuning? Do I need to change/upgrade any part of my motor?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:41 PM
4th Gear Member

I don't know of any kits off hand, but it's sometimes cheaper to get a generic kit (as far as piping goes) than an actual made to fit kit and works just good.

As far as placement, there's not much room under the hoods of these cars to begin with, so adding a turbo leaves very few placement options, most of which place the turbo right in front of the engine requiring you to remove it every time you need to change the opti. STS does make a rear mount turbo set up. Here's a link to their site. STSTurbo.com: Buy Custom Turbo Systems for Sale

Price, any where from $5k to $20k, depending on what you want.

Tuning, talk to PCMforless there's another place that can do it but the name slips my mind.

Upgrades really depends on how much boost you want. A stock LT1 can handle about 5-7 psi at best with good tuning. Add in meth injection and you can bump it a little more, but isn't the safe way to go. A good, fully forged rotating assembly, with lower compression (9.0-9.5:1), a cam ground for your set up, tuning, and meth injection could handle just about any amount of boost you'd want.

The right way will put you up in cost. You have to remember, the transmission, rear end, and suspension need to be addressed as well to support the added power. And the heads, exhaust, top end....

It will add up fast.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:08 AM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

My Business - Home also makes front mount turbo kits. I wouldnt recommend turboing your car unless you have a large budget, as you wont be able to make very much power safely on a stock bottom end. A heads/cam package from lloyd elliot would be a better bang for your buck, and should put you at around 400-450 depending on cam choice. Plan on doubling your original budget. It might be more cost effective to buy an ls1 car or swap your car to an ls1.