TTOP to CONVERTIBLE on 1996 z28

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Default TTOP to CONVERTIBLE on 1996 z28

Hi all, this is my first post. I am wanting to buy a 1996 Z28 camaro automatic with 80000 milles at 8500 USD! (very cheap in my country) Actually I have a 2007 Peugeot 407 st 2.2 and I am selling it to buy this camaro and get rid of the debt I actually have. I wonder if is possible to convert this ttop camaro into a convertible one????? is there any kit or tutorial on how to convert the ttop to a convertible? Thanks!

Old 08-02-2011, 12:48 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

nope not that i know of

Old 08-02-2011, 01:14 PM
2nd Gear member

So, where are you?

With enough fabrication skills and time and money, anything is possible. But, there is no off the shelf kit to do this. It will be a 100% custom fabrication project on your end.

It won't be as easy at chopping off the top and adding a chunk of vinyl. You will have to strengthen the subframe, and basically cut the back of a convertible car off and splice it onto yours.

Personally, I would just stick with the T-Tops. But if you have your heart set on a convertible, and can't find one in your area, go for it. Just know, depending on how good you are at metal fab, it will probably cost more to convert it, than locating a convertible.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:34 PM

Thnks for your replies, I live in Ecuador, and I dont think there is any convertible in my countrie. In Fact a 4th gen Camaro only appears for sale once a year or even less. I really have my heart set on a convertible but I have no skills for that, maybe having the assembly from a used car I could pay for the job done but even the assembly would be imposible to get.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

your biggest problem is that the roof of the car is the main structure without supporting the car it will fold in half... also theres alot of differences between the conv, coupe, and ttop cars such as the windshield youd need a windshield frame from a conv you need a trunk lid instead of a hatch... you basically need a conv to pull parts off of... if the camaro is so rare there id suggest buying it and enjoy knowing you have almost a one of a kind car

Old 08-02-2011, 04:05 PM

ok I read (not remember where) that all camaros has the chasis reinforcement as the convertible, if not placing some steel bars to reinforce the chasis wont be a problem. I found this top kit on ebay.

Camaro Z28 Convertible Top Kit W/Frame 94-02 OEM B. New | eBay

But is still a lot os missing parts. arent they?

Old 08-02-2011, 04:27 PM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director

Originally Posted by Melssj5
Hi all, this is my first post. I am wanting to buy a 1996 Z28 camaro automatic with 80000 milles at 8500 USD! (very cheap in my country) Actually I have a 2007 Peugeot 407 st 2.2 and I am selling it to buy this camaro and get rid of the debt I actually have. I wonder if is possible to convert this ttop camaro into a convertible one????? is there any kit or tutorial on how to convert the ttop to a convertible? Thanks!
yes the t-tops come off, once off enjoy the wind... sorry i couldn't resist any longer.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by BudBrown
yes the t-tops come off, once off enjoy the wind... sorry i couldn't resist any longer.
I dont know if laughing or crying!!!!! jaja!

Old 08-02-2011, 05:07 PM
2nd Gear member

Honestly, don't waste your time. It will be way too much to do even if you buy every part for it. Think of the money you will need to first buy the car, then basically another conv. car for parts, and pay for someone to do. You will put yourself back in the debt you are trying to get out of. T-tops do just fine when they are off, trust me.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:27 PM

Yeah, I guess I may spend a lot of money and get bad results of it, the idea of having the conv. was not for the air but for the beautiness of the conv. Thanks to everyone for the answers

Quick Reply: TTOP to CONVERTIBLE on 1996 z28