Trouble starting engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:59 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by UFGatorFan
I suggested this in your other thread but you never said whether or not you checked it. My car had very similar problems to yours and it was the crankshaft position sensor. It is a cheap fix so I would check their before undertaking any more expensive fixes.
Which sensor was it that you replaced? I am finding that there are 2 crankshaft sensors. One behind the balancer, and the other on the right hand side of the car down by the oil pan. The one down by the oil pan doesn't look too difficult to replace, but the one behind the balancer looks like a lot of fun. I assume there is no way to test which one is bad?

Old 08-25-2012, 06:34 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

not completely sure what your seeing at the oil pan. if its in the oil pan its the oil level sensor. the crank sensor is behind the balancer.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:01 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The 3.4 has two crank sensors. The one under the front pulley is a 24x hi res sensor, that improves spark control at idle speeds.
The 3x (also called a 7x) crank sensor is in the block, passenger side, above the oil pan, below the knock sensor.
This is the one that sends a crank position signal through the ICM, then on to the PCM.
If it's a crank sensor issue that's causing a no-run, it would be the 3x on the side of the block.
Here's how to test them, if you have the equipment:
3X CKP Sensor
24X CKP Sensor

Old 08-26-2012, 07:45 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the replies. My idle runs fine, it is a very hard to start issue so to me it sounds like it will be the sensor down on the side of the block. Looks like I know where to start now.

It will probably be Monday or Tuesday before I can get this installed as everywhere I have called has to order them in and it will take two days to get it. As soon as I know if that is the issue or not I will let you all know.

Thank you all once again.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by UFGatorFan
I suggested this in your other thread but you never said whether or not you checked it. My car had very similar problems to yours and it was the crankshaft position sensor. It is a cheap fix so I would check their before undertaking any more expensive fixes.
I also had the exact same problem and it was the crankshaft position sensor '95 3.4 and once replaced fixed my starting issue.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I am pretty sure that is what my issue is. Unfortunatly right now I haven't had the time to replace it yet. Between working too much overtime and coming down sick I haven't had time to do much of anything lately. Am hoping to pick up the lower sensor this Thurs or Fri and get it installed over the weekend. I will let you know what I find out once I get that far.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:10 AM
In the Staging Lanes

When replacing the sensor, the one down on the side of the engine do you have to remove the starter or can you just take the old sensor out and put the new one back in? I bought a replacement sensor and I really don't want to have to remove the starter if it isn't mandatory.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, after pulling the starter and putting the new sensor in my car still won't start like it should. I still have to try three or four times to get it to start. I have went to a few auto parts stores who say that can scan for codes but none of them have the right scanner... unless I want to spend $300 to buy one. At this point I am lost, frustrated, and about to junk this car. (Not really, but the thought has crossed my mind) The only thing I haven't checked yet is my fuel injector pressure and I guess that should have been the first thing I have checked, but I figured that if my fuel pump was going bad then it should have quit totally since this has been going on for a couple of months now.

If it isn't the fuel pressure, do anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks

Old 09-25-2012, 04:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

May want to check on the ignition relay again-if it did work for you for a day or so after you replaced it the new one may have burned out-I just had this happen a short while ago on my camaro, replaced relay with an aftermarket one, worked for about 5 days, replaced it again with an OEM one and haven't had an issue so far-my problem may be related to running the AC as well burning out the relay-I haven't ran the AC since I replaced the relay the last time. It didn't cause
the backfiring thing for me though. If you pull that relay out and check it there may be some visual evidence it's burned out. Mine had some (blackening), at least. I'm not the best mechanic on this board by a long shot, but it sounds like a similar issue.
Maybe check with a mechanic on the scanner-the one that I use up here will run the code reader on your car for free.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:59 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I will give that a shot as well. What code reader is needed to check for codes on the 95 with a 3.4? I need to find out what if any codes are stored in my computer.

Thanks for the help and suggestions

Quick Reply: Trouble starting engine