Trouble starting engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Trouble starting engine

I have a '95 Camaro with a 3.4 engine that is giving me issues when trying to start the car. Up until about a month ago my car would start up just fine. Now when I attempt to start it I have to try 3 or 4 times before it will start. The first few attempts it cranks over but acts like it isn't getting any spark and almost sounds like it is back firing through the engine. After the fourth or fifth attempt the car starts just fine. I put new plugs and wires on and that didn't seem to help. When the car is running it runs just fine with no issues. I haven't had it scanned for any code errors yet because I thought changing the plugs and wires would fix the issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:05 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check fuel pressure. have you tried cycling (turn on and off) the key a few times before trying to start?

Old 08-11-2012, 10:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I haven't tried to cycle the ignition before turning it on, I will gave that a shot. What should the fuel pressure be? I didn't stop to think that it could be the fuel pump since it would eventually start.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:08 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

should be in the area of 40 lbs and should hold for a time after turning key off, not drop right away. it sounds like your in a rich condition when first starting which can indicate low fuel pressure. pcm is trying to make up for indications of no fuel and dumps lots to the system and when pressure comes it floods system with fuel.

Last edited by craby; 08-11-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:38 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the suggestions and information, I appreciate it. What is the easiest way to test the fuel pressure? I have never had to do it before so I wouldn't know the first thing about doing it.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:29 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

find the shrader valve, should be on the fuel rail. hook the fuel pressure gage to it and turn the key on. your local parts store should rent the fuel pressure gage. heres a link on how to check the lt1 v8 fuel pressure, allot of the process is the same. 4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles

Old 08-12-2012, 08:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I haven't had a chance to have the pressure checked yet, but cycling the igniton seems to help for the most part. It seems to work 3 out of 4 times. I am wondering if maybe a clogged fuel filter might be part of the issue as well. I live out in the country and the gravel roads haven't been too forgiving on my car. I currently have a cold air intake on the car, and would like to go back to the factory setup for the air filter but am having trouble finding a factory setup for it. I know all of the dust cant be good on my fuel mileage. As far as the starting issue, I think I am going to get the fuel filter changed and if the issue continues I will go buy a pressure gauge and see what I can't get figured out from there.

Once again, thanks for all of the help and suggestions.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Thumbs up

I went ahead and replaced the fuel filter and still no luck, so as an afterthought I looked at the fuses under the hood in the relay center and they look good. I went ahead and replaced them anyway and now it fires right up like a champ. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I won't hesitate to come here for more answers or info in the future... and I might just lurk around here some as well.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well the fuses didnt help. It worked for a day then went back to the same issues it was having. My next step is to check the fuel pressure and then I will replace my ICM and go from there.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I suggested this in your other thread but you never said whether or not you checked it. My car had very similar problems to yours and it was the crankshaft position sensor. It is a cheap fix so I would check their before undertaking any more expensive fixes.

Quick Reply: Trouble starting engine