Transmission leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 05:24 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Transmission leak

Had a transmission leak. Got two different mechanic opinions and both said trans pan gasket was leaking bad. Had trans serviced with new fluid and filter but leak is still there. Its quite bad with a noticeable stain on the driveway after sitting for a couple of hours. I'll try get a photo in daylight but it seems to be dripping from this silver thing directly in front of the pan. Any idea how serious of a problem this will be to fix?

97 z28

Last edited by grasshopper645; 05-21-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:56 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

front seal or maybe one of the cooling lines is leaking and somehow finding its way there. see any fluid trails going up the passenger side. pull the converter/flywheel cover off and see if theres fluid inside.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I have to ask what work have you had done on your transmission in the past. If you have had the gasket replaced before, the mechanic may not have pulled all the tabs off the gasket. Its a semi-common problem that GM had issued a warning letter on.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Took it to mechanic today, appears to be leaking from the dip stick tube (?) and somewhere around the gear shifter?

Havent had the car very long, and have no service history for it. Aside from recent fluid and filter change i don't know if its had any tranny work done on it.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:48 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by grasshopper645
Took it to mechanic today, appears to be leaking from the dip stick tube (?) and somewhere around the gear shifter?

Havent had the car very long, and have no service history for it. Aside from recent fluid and filter change i don't know if its had any tranny work done on it.

Very possible... the tube is sealed with an O ring. The O ring will leak sometimes. If its the same mechanic who diagnosed the trans pan being the leak, then I would make him refund me the money for a mis diagnosis and essentially not fixing the problem. Thats a pretty basic item to check when looking for a trans leak especially around the pan with the car on a lift.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2Z's
Very possible... the tube is sealed with an O ring. The O ring will leak sometimes. If its the same mechanic who diagnosed the trans pan being the leak, then I would make him refund me the money for a mis diagnosis and essentially not fixing the problem. Thats a pretty basic item to check when looking for a trans leak especially around the pan with the car on a lift.
trans pan gasket was leaking as well, and needed to get the filter changed anyway. Most of the fluid is gone now so will top it up myself and get it sorted this week. Lucky its not my dd.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:55 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

are you checking fluid level when warm and running. if you overfill it will come out at the base of the fill tube. the overflow is at the top in the middle and if there is a flow issue or its overheating for some reason it will come out of it and drain down both sides.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes am checking with engine warm and idling. Finding it a bit difficult to see where the level is, but it appears to be ok / slightly below the cross hatch. Is shifting ok but im a bit reluctant to add any incase i over fill it.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:53 AM
1st Gear Member

why would my low traction warning light be coming on when i shift to D or R from neutral or park?

Last edited by grasshopper645; 05-31-2013 at 05:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-31-2013, 08:11 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

speed sensor or speed sensor harness failing is what comes to mind first. front wheel sensor wire harness is the most common fail.

Quick Reply: Transmission leak