tranny probs

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 12:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default tranny probs

just bought my first fouth gen camaro 2 weeks ago. 93, lt1, auto, 100 000m. complety stock cept the guy i bought it from said the guy he bought it from put a chip in it but that doesnt seem right cause the 93 needs software upgrades via a computer not a plug and play chip....i think. so my first question is how to tell if the pcm has been upgraded or tuned i guess.
my other questiion revolves around the tranny. only got 2 weeks behind the wheel but it seemed like it shifted way to hard thru 1st n second at just normal acceleration, also the same hardness from drive to reverse at 0mph of course. now when i go to reverse its like the rear brakes are stuck on in the way it needs alot more pedal to make it move and when i let off it stops immediatly, again like the brakes are on. when in netreul it coasts around no prob. same thing in first gear (need like 2000rpm to move it).
Taking the tranny out as we speak and just gonna drop it off at the nearest shop but thought id throw it out there and see if anyone had similar problems.
love the site and thx.....

Old 04-12-2009, 06:00 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Hi, welcome to the forum. For your computer, if it does have a chip in it you should be able to pull the comp out and there's a small access panel on it, pull that off and then you should see the chip. If it is aftermarket, then it should have the companies logo or something like that on it. For your shifting, could be it has a shift kit it, that would make it shift a little harder. May also have a higher stall converter in it, would expaine the high rpms to move it. If so, the converter should have some identifying marks on the outside of it.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Overdrive Member

93's you can tune the computer with a chip,its what the tune is burned on to

Old 04-14-2009, 04:59 PM
1st Gear Member

k, found the chip. stock. damn. did some reading though (uh ohh)and im curious the difference between buying a preprogrammed chip or buying the cable/blank chips ect and doing it myself. seems to me doing it yourself, u could tune the car as u mod it where as if i buy a preprogrammed im sorta stuck with that tune. am i missing something here?

got the tranny out, 2 feet of extentions n 2 swivels at one point. guess yas have all been there. to my surprise i found a brand new (or recently painted baby blue) t.converter. in black marker read gm33000. yep with the extra zero. gonna assume its the stk one refurbished before i bought the car. would be nice though if it was 3300 stall. no ideas on how to check that anyone? not much for markings other than the black marker and K2cb91 stamped in the case. also when i said it took 2000rpm to move the car it was like it wanted to go forward and reverse at the same time and couldnt make up its mind. solinoids in tranny maybe????yeah i agree i bet the hard shift is a shift kit. hope this tranny guy i found at the coffe shop today is smart cause i got questions....thx for input guys.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:04 PM
2nd Gear member

Well, a pretty easy way to check for a higher stall is to just mash the brakes, and slowly press the accelerator until the rears start to spin. Once the TC is at it's stall speed, it'll overpower the brakes.

Normally the wheels should begin spinning around 1500-1900, so if you can get it up higher than htat chances are you've got a high stall converter.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

just fyi i guess........when we took the tranny apart 3rd n 4th gear were compressed/stuck together/engaged. turned the basket upside down and a little whack and the disks n plates come apart. basically it was stuck in 3rd/4th gear then when i put it in reverse, it burnt up 3rd n 4th (since their thinner disks than Reverse), once they burnt it went into reverse. all that in 1 or 2 min in front of my house. anyways 200$ for a kit that come with everything and 150$ to the coffee shop tranny guy. rollin the dice if it happens again.
still looking for some help understanding my other question from above as i bought some headers n want to remove the pollution gear (another thread..."headers/ypipe"). copy and pasted:

im curious the difference between buying a preprogrammed chip or buying the cable/blank chips ect and doing it myself. seems to me doing it yourself, u could tune the car as u mod it where as if i buy a preprogrammed im sorta stuck with that tune. am i missing something here?

thanks again.