TPS installation on 1997 LT1 help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default TPS installation on 1997 LT1 help!

Have any of you guys ever changed the TPS on the LT1 motors?

I believe when you put the TPS back on, you need to install it a certain way. If you just bolt it right back up, I know that doesn't always work.

I removed mine last week because the car has been acting up so I took off the TPS to clean it and when I installed it again, the check engine light came on and the car wouldn't shift properly. After hours of messing with it, a mechanic came over and discovered that it wasn't seated in there properly when I re-installed it. He had to turn that dial on the inside of the TPS and get it on that way, once he did the check engine light shut off and the car began shifting as normal so clearly I did something wrong when I put it back on. The car is still acting up and I thought about buying another TPS but I am afraid that I won't be able to get it back on properly again.

What is the trick to installing these??

Old 02-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Overdrive Member

Define "Acting UP" and what are your codes if any? The TPS if it starts failing will throw codes with or without a failed test cycle since it is always inputting data to the PCM. I hate when people throw parts at a car with out knowing for sure what is wrong.

Massey

Old 02-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Massey
I hate when people throw parts at a car with out knowing for sure what is wrong.
Massey
But don't you sell parts for a living? You should love it.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

there are no codes on the car now but when the TPS was giving me issues from the incorrect install, it was throwing the code p0122- which is " the cars computer has detected that the TPS (throttle position sensor) is reporting too low a voltage. "

Old 02-01-2011, 06:28 PM
2nd Gear member

correct! the transmission DOES use the TPS as an input sensor. it took da place of the throttle valve cable. im not suprised your trans isnt shifting properly. the TPS on them throttle bodies is adjustable.. it is adjustable based on the locations of the 2 screws that hold it on. should of been marked prior to removal.
i found this on another forum site, direct copy and paste from camaroz28 forum, user Inuneer- http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/show....php?p=6046632

For the TPS sensor, measure the voltage across the blue and black wires. At closed throttle, the voltage should be between 0.20-0.90V. The PCM checks the voltage at startup, and sets whatever it sees as the "0%" baseline voltage and pro-rates from there for percent throttle opening. Stock, unmolested sensors generally read about 0.65-0.67V. Some people feel there's something special about setting it so a specific value like 0.50V, but I've never found that to be the case.

haha i always cite my sources lol

Old 02-01-2011, 06:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

so again I ask, What is the trick to installing these?? How do I correctly install a new TPS?

Old 02-01-2011, 07:26 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Hazard29
so again I ask, What is the trick to installing these?? How do I correctly install a new TPS?
like i just said in my last post... put the new sensor on the throttle body, with the screws loose enough to make the TPS pivot on its mounting screws. and get out your multi-meter.. back-probe the blue and black wires... with the throttle closed, adjust the 'arm' on the TPS by turning the sensor until the multimeter reads somewhere between 0.20V-0.90V

seems like a deja-vu post

Old 02-02-2011, 07:10 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

its been a while, you need to slide it on without the screws in at all, it will be a tad offset clock wise to the lined up position, about 1 o'clock, should slide in but with the spongy thing you will have to hold it in, once in turn till screw holes line up. put the screws in. if your uncertain install without the spongy thing first to give you an idea of the proper position it needs to be in, then install using the sponge.

Last edited by craby; 02-02-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
But don't you sell parts for a living? You should love it.

I do sell parts, I like to sell parts, it is the returns I hate! And worse yet when I have to tell them they are idiots and cant return used electrical parts.

Massey

Old 02-02-2011, 01:11 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

A stock TPS on a stock TB should not have any wiggle on it. Therefore no adjustments needed. But the only way to check is to check the voltage the TPS is sending out.

Quick Reply: TPS installation on 1997 LT1 help!