Torque arm or what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 01:02 PM
Default Torque arm or what?

Preparing and deciding as to weather to do u-joints on my 95 Z28. Small amount of seat of the pants vibration coming from rear. Now when looking under the car for access to the drive shaft I noticed what looks like a torque arm running from the 6 spd. trans to the differential. What is it? Also it is a single piece drive shaft. One last thing; is there a way to test the trans. output shaft bearing and the differential pinion bearing for looseness while doing the u-joints? Neither seal appears to be leaking. Thanks much, great forum. Bob

Old 05-12-2015, 03:17 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep its a torque bar. it also controls the pinion/driveshaft angle. make sure your mount at the trans is ok and the torque bar is not able to move around or is damaged. do you have a stock trans mount? the poly mounts will transfer vibration better. trans rear seal is a cheap n easy change. depending on the weight of your right foot you may want to look at the driveshaft yoke on the inside and see if theres some wear or damage. check for play at the yoke when its installed. do you have lowering springs?

Old 05-12-2015, 04:20 PM

Thanks much craby. Finally found some videos on utube also which is helping. One was very good on replacing the front torque are bushing that wears a lot. No lowering springs but low profile tires all around and previous owner said there is poly suspension components. Looks like I might want to remove the torque arm to get to the shaft and u-joints though. Sure wish I had a pit or lift. I will match mark the yokes, check the shaft for balance weights or lack of and use the Chevy solid type of u-joints. From my early Vette days. And any other info on how to check for trans & diff. bearing wear? Thanks again guys. Bob