Help with Camaro purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Default Help with Camaro purchase

Hello I need some advice because I am considering purchasing an older Camaro as a project. I am leaning towards a late 80’s to early 90’s model. However I also see many mid 90’s models for really good prices. What I want to know is which model do you think is a better car. I don’t care about speed but more about rigidity and dependability. I guess what I am saying is I don’t want something that will be rattling all the time or will be in the shop often. Any advice you all can give me really will be appreciated.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:16 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

then you better pick your car carefully. 20-30 year old car will break or wear out things. i really like the way my 93 drives and looks. but that me.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:22 AM

Trust me I realize that almost any car from this year will have been treated ruff at some point. My issue is if I fix it up I don't want it to be an inherently undependable car just because of the design.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:50 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

drove my first 93 camaro to 200k miles and it ran fine when i sold it. mechanically 4th gens are a great car and will go for a long time if cared for correctly. also 25+ mpg out of 275hp v8 helps. 98 up have more hp and a superior design engine in the ls1. price also jump considerably

Old 05-10-2015, 12:34 PM

Thank for that info I will keep it in mind when looking.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:12 PM
4th Gear Member

is any American car from the 80's really any good? That was the era of Chrysler K cars and Chevy Chevettes. I restored an 89 RS and it ended up being in good shape but just fit and finish compared to the mid 90's and later is like night and day.

The strong point fo the 3rd gen is you do not need to be a contortionist to work under the hood. As for the 4th gens, just changing spark plugs, even with long tube headers on it is a royal pain in the (craby won't let me say the word). Anything 1995 and earlier is not OBD2 so it gets more challenging to diagnose codes compared to 96 and newer.

Sure, I used to race an "old school" setup but there is something to be said about adding a few gallons of 110, hooking up your laptop, uploading a different tune and shaving tenths off of your time

Old 05-11-2015, 07:10 PM

Well yes I have had some great cars from the 80's that I really liked but you guys officially talked me out of it. They must not be a good car for what I'm looking for so I will look for something else. I do thank you all for helping me with your advice.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

If you think about it.. the 80s and 90s was the time when Japanese cars became a staple in America as they were known for being cheap, dependable, and a durable. My parents bought a Honda Accord in 87 when I was a year old and 16 years later I was driving that same 88 Accord when I got my license. We all love these Camaros and are willing to take the risks and spend the money on them when things go wrong but thats because we are crazy fanboys.. lol :P. I would never have bought my 93 if all I was looking for was something reliable. I wanted the look, the power, and to fulfill a childhood dream. I also have 2 forms of roadside assistance(AAA and Geico lol) just incase. I was 7 years old when this car came out and I absolutely idolized it. Now 20 years later I have my 93 and a 2002 and ones broke down and ones still chugging along. My 93 driver side door rattles every time I open/close it and every bump I hit. I dont even care. I love these cars even with their quirks and faults and I wouldnt trade them for anything in the world.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:15 AM

I hear you but I have had over 40 cars because my brother is a used car dealer. I had many from 70's, 80's and 90's. While most of my cars were not American but European I had extensive experience with American cars of the era just not Camaros.

Many of the products, except those on the lower end, were really not bad. Also given time has passed many people now know the solutions to what cause many of the failures of the engines/etc. and can avoid it. Now while the higher end were not efficient they usually were decent in dependability. I once purchased an 88 Deville with 67K on it. I loved that car and once I upgraded the tires it was smooth and a very nice super clean car. Actually I got more complements from valet drivers than in my BMWs or Benzs. I also had 0 issues except having to recharge the A/C. Now my Allante......that was different.

Last edited by RayjhtHt; 05-12-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:30 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

lol i had 27 cars before i quit drinking, 30sum years ago. 70sumthing vette is a car i would like to own before I go.

Quick Reply: Help with Camaro purchase