Tire shine/protectant

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Tire shine/protectant

Over the years I have been looking for the tire shine/protectant with the most gloss finish I could find.....well I found it. And if the it lasts 1/4 as long as the company claims then it was $13 well spent.

the product: Turtle Wax Black Tire Coat

Before:

Name:  Before_zps0170e35a.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  66.5 KB

After:

Name:  After_zpsc13d19cf.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  62.2 KB

If you are a fan of high gloss tire shine they you will love this stuff as much as I do.

I have read on some reviews of people how say to make sure to clean this stuff of your rims before it dries otherwise it is a PITA to get off.

this stuff works great to get it off clean, make sure you give it enough time to dry and then buff it off:

Turtle wax claims the shine will last for "months", while I find that unlikely I'll be updating weekly untill I think the tires need a reapplication.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

Let me know how that works. I've tried just about everything on the market. As long as it does not rain, the stuff will last a week or so, most of it gets flung off on the quarter panels.....but then again I'm lazy and prefer the spray on stuff.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

I use armor all tire shine. Its great stuff, lasts about 2 weeks with a car was in the middle.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I really hate to, but I have to ask. Whats the obsession with the super extreme tire shine? I don't like a dirty tire but outside of the foam cleaner and protectant, everything else looks terrible, tacky, and way overdone IMHO. The high gloss stuff looks runny and nasty too, as if someone took high gloss black paint and shot it on the tires from three inches away.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:48 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

the armor all doesnt have a killer high gloss, more of a clean not flat look (if that makes sense)

Old 01-08-2013, 07:56 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by RaiderGT
I really hate to, but I have to ask. Whats the obsession with the super extreme tire shine? I don't like a dirty tire but outside of the foam cleaner and protectant, everything else looks terrible, tacky, and way overdone IMHO. The high gloss stuff looks runny and nasty too, as if someone took high gloss black paint and shot it on the tires from three inches away.

You can ask, its no problem. A high gloss finish is just my taste, IMO it give the appearance of being very clean, it aint gonna shine if its dirty. Thats not to say something with more of a satiny finish cant look just as clean, I just like a gloss finish better.

I dont know about other high gloss tire finishes, but after about the hour of recommended drying time this stuff wasnt too tacky, they say to not scrub your sidewalls for 3 days after application so im guessing it is curing, so today being the 4th day i'll check to see if that minor bit of tack has gone away. Also, this stuff doesnt look runny, but being an aresol im sure if you linger too long on the same spot it will be, just got to spray it on right. Im no rattle can painting pro but I did manage to get this stuff on evenly.

I'll be taking some more pictures on friday, hopefully it will rain (funny i'm hoping for rain since i just said how much i like a shinny clean car ) between now and then so I can include that in my review. But from the look and feel of this stuff I dont think rain will have much of an effect on it.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:40 AM
2nd Gear member

Went out and check this morning and there is no tacky sensation on the finish. I'm lovin this stuff, now lets hope it holds up for at least a few weeks.

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Let me know how that works. I've tried just about everything on the market. As long as it does not rain, the stuff will last a week or so, most of it gets flung off on the quarter panels.....but then again I'm lazy and prefer the spray on stuff.

Yeah that! I think even if I dont end up continuing to use this product I'm switching to aresol tire shine products...discovering the spray on type has increased my "lazy meter".

Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaiderGT
No harm in asking. Everyone has their opinions. I too, prefer the shiny look. Don't know why, to me I think it just makes the car look clean and finished. It's all part of my detailing. I even spray armor-all inside the wheel wells to make sure those areas are nice and black and shiny clean. I clean and polish my paint, my glass and my wheels....I just add my tires as personal preference.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:18 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
I use armor all tire shine. Its great stuff, lasts about 2 weeks with a car was in the middle.

I use this except it's the spray on kind.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 PM
2nd Gear member

Ok, here it is after one week.

It hasnt rained since last week so i'll post a picture after it rains.

It still looks really good, I have not cleaned anything. You can see some dirt close to the edge of the sidewall. I'm interested to see how it holds up after a rainy day and cleaning.

Just an observation, I scrapped a curb slightly with the tire in the picture. You can't see it in the picture but it did scrap some of the shine off, but that was 2 days ago and the edges of the scrap have not started to peel. So it seems to be pretty tough even when you scrap a curb.

So far so good.

Quick Reply: Tire shine/protectant