Time to change my oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:33 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Time to change my oil

[&:].... uh.... so what should i do then? lol buy a ford?

Old 01-05-2008, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I think you are mis-interpreting my point. I was just saying that not all things which advertise a lot are good I was trying to think of another example but really couldn't think of a good one.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:38 AM
4th Gear Member

well im really short on money, but id like to get the best synthetic i can.. thats not 8 bucks a quart..and id like something that will improve performance for high mileage.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:33 AM
1st Gear Member

When someone did a poll on this next to royal purple was Mobil 1 synthetic as being voted best I am pretty sure. Come to think of it I might have done the poll myself.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:07 PM
2nd Gear member

u should have went with mobile 1 f.s not that cheap *** **** u might as well drive a ford with the **** u threw in ur car, if u cant afford oil dont drive a camaro thats just fukn dumb lol do u use 87 lol wtf is like 5 extra bucks for good oil lol i would slap myself if i were u i mean who the **** cant afford oil and drives a camaro ..... derder der[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Old 01-06-2008, 01:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

Wal-Mart has some variants of Mobil 1, even high mileage. They have them in 5 qt. jugs for around $20. WithMobil 1 syntehtic you only have to change your oil every 5,000-7,000 miles. I personally think Royal Purple is a joke and won't buy it due to the testimonials of friends. I checked out Amsoil 0w30 and that is a joke too. You don't have to change your oil for 25,000-35,000 miles? I mean come on, its like metallic brake pads with a lifetime gurantee. Sure your oil will last longer but its bound to mess up some other components.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:30 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 98ss4REAL

u should have went with mobile 1 f.s not that cheap *** **** u might as well drive a ford with the **** u threw in ur car, if u cant afford oil dont drive a camaro thats just fukn dumb lol do u use 87 lol wtf is like 5 extra bucks for good oil lol i would slap myself if i were u i mean who the **** cant afford oil and drives a camaro ..... derder der[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]
Dude... with all due respect... **** you.. i havent bought any type of oil yet.. im going today.. Just kuz i dont have 40 bucks to spend onoilRIGHT THIS SECONDdoesnt mean im cheap.. i just spent 230 on a new sound system.. (oh and i run premium...) I did ask for advice.. but i didnt ask for you to be an *******...

Oh wait.. i see you have an LS1.. you must be G0D... and rich..i apologize...

Old 01-06-2008, 06:28 PM

So, how did you "check out" Amsoil? I read some independent tests results which concluded Amsoil was a damn good lube. The reason it can go 25K is that it is NOT petroleum based, therefor it doesn't break down or "evaporate" with the heat. Petroleum based oils actually burn a little during use, and the by-products of that combustion are acidic. That's why you don't leave used oil in a motor over the winter - it attacks the metal parts that it should be keeping smooth!

ANY synthetic is better than ANY petroleum based oil. And the 0W30 gives NO (or as little as possible)"resistance" at start up in cold weather. Which is sweet.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well first off I checked out Amsoil by doing a Google search. Google's search engine can be quite useful. Back to the matter at hand. A lot of data I have seen about Amsoil is very similar to that which is on the Amsoil website. I can guarantee you that those tests weren't done from a controlled field study, and of course weren't since it wouldn't yield as well of results to advertise. However Amsoil was the first synthetic oil approved by the American Petroleum Institute back in the 70's. If there was a problem with it I'm sure that it would have been addressed long ago. You can't say though that since it isn't petroleum based that it won't break down. All synthetic oils will break down and will evaporate to a certain degree. Everything has certain set boiling and evaporation point. From what I have researched about Amsoil it's a good oil, but will cost more since you won't have to replace it as often as other oils. Now Amsoil has some "special" additives and mixes that I have no idea about even though I have taken chemistry and understand the basics of this preatty firmly, which help increase service life. Real life daily usage may have proven this extended service life to be in fact true in certain instances, but I'm not going to buy into its perks. I have used Mobil 1 for a while and am very satisfied with it, the fact that so many automobile manufacturers recommend using it only helps give me more peace of mind. I'm un-willing to use engine oil, the life blood of my vehicle for upwards of 25,000 miles. It is a fact that any oil (especially Amsoil) will accumulate carbon deposits and other particulates from former and regular usage. To leave that in there allowing it to circulate in the engine for 5-7 times longer than it would be with another synthetic such as Mobil 1 just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:58 PM
4th Gear Member

i bought 5 quarts of mobil 1 fully synthetic... luckily i found more coupons and got a dollar of per quart...

Quick Reply: Time to change my oil