A Thread replying to JakeYeah (others as well)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 07:13 AM
4th Gear Member
Default A Thread replying to JakeYeah (others as well)

I did not want to join in the hijacking of a thread where you asked "how much power will a good set of heads add to a car"?

One could simply answer your question and say : well Jake, not much if that is all that you do and I sue the term "much" from the perspective of cost benefit. What do I receive in return for the money and labor to replace just the heads (taking into account that my stockers are still problem free and car runs fine)

My question would be why do you want to replace just the heads?

If it's just to shave time off your 1/4 mile et then shave weight from the car and change the rear gears and get some drag radials.

About heads, this is one piece of a delicate dance called flow through the engine. Each piece will affect the other and to get the most bang for the buck you must address every piece or you leave performance gains on the table

So, it's not just the heads but also the camshaft. That then means new lifters and pushrods. A new timing set, depending on what you select then new fuel injectors, new fuel pump, bigger fuel lines, new intake manifold and throttle body, a tune and of course, much better exhaust. Let's not forget to upgrade the ignition as well or again, we leave performance gains on the table.

If I'm sucking in more air then I need more fuel. If I'm putting more volume in then I need to be able to get it out or I lose most of the gains and have wasted money so exhaust is no less important.

One thing which has stood the test of time is performance gains still require the same 2 ingredients; lots of money and lots of time. There are no secrets or shortcuts. Some would say to throw in spray but that quickly reveals to you your weak points (return to the part about lots of money)

So now you've upgraded the engine, how many $thousands did you set aside because your tranny is going to fail and your drivetrain and suspension should be upgraded too (refer back to the lots of money part)

there might be youtube videos with illustrations about how an internal combustion engine works and the roles of the components. I'm too lazy to go looking

I invite others to add but this is response to not wanting to thread hijack when you asked about gains from heads.

Personally; that's why I go to a point with the older cars and purchase new technology when I want more(not 90's or 2000 new but direct injection, variable cam style new) where the vehicle not only has the power already but is built to handle it and provide daily driving comfort. But, doesn't that again come back to money? (it always does)

Old 11-18-2012, 04:18 PM
2nd Gear member

well said

Old 11-18-2012, 09:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with you on this. I understand both points of view. I feel the need/want to upgrade my Z with heads/cam/intake/injectors, rear end, etc... but when I look at how much time and money that would take I get turned off. Instead I operate under the "when I breaks, upgrade" school of thought. My flexplate/converter bolts broke, so I upgraded both... otherwise I'd never have gone through the work to install a moderately high stall converter. I did the CAI and catback because both are easy and cheap. I put on a strut tower brace because I came across one for $50.

I enjoy my car the way it is and just work to keep it running solid, which I've admittedly been behind on lately.

When I really need more power, I'll get something more modern.

Now for those who absolutely love the 4th gen and must go fast, I can appreciate you. Those who have chosen to invest the time/money in going all out and sharing your experiences have helped me make decisions that work for me.

Of course, if I had access to a lift and other high dollar equipment, my thoughts would be much different!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:34 AM
4th Gear Member

To Abovethelogic

Sometimes we just go down a path and keep going because we are so far along.

I've had project/fun vehicles where I spent way too much than I had intended ( some female would always remind me of that too) but I could not put a price on the enjoyment

But, if your funds are limited then cost/benefit must be considered and your goals need to be clearly identified.

If I'm low on funds, I'm not going to add 100 foot pounds of torque to a tired and inherently weak drivetrain unless I have the funds to address that as well.

Even the LT1 powered 4th gens can be quite impressive with long tubes, CAI, an ignition/fuel system in good repair and a decent computer tune. The only addition I have beyond that are 1.6 rr's and it still breaks the 275 tires loose at 25 mph

I've already updated the tranny and suspension so if and when it's time to open up the engine, I've laid the foundation

Old 11-19-2012, 06:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I appreciate it torque. However I do understand how much money and time it takes to get a good power car, i've helped build them before down at my shop and will probably have to build more. What i'm really looking for here is how a car like my z will react to such modifications, because as im sure you know every car is different. (i.e. and honda with headers aint gonna do much.) I've never had a car as powerful as a z-28, and i'm asking people who have had one before (i.e you) to share their opinions on what seems like a good investment for power, or if they couldnt really feel a difference. But i appreciate you tryin to help me out, and will no doubt be calling upon your wisdom again.

Last edited by JakeYeah; 11-19-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:15 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

headers and good cat back exhaust with cai is a good start. after that your looking at some coin. have a look here http://www.elliottsportworks.com/ there are several lt1 build threads on here. i did my motor all at once so cant say on the difference any one thing made. there was a big difference but with what was done there had better been

Last edited by craby; 11-19-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 PM
3rd Gear Member

Here is where I'm starting.....just found this today!

93-97 LT1 Camaro/Firebird - Pace Setter Armor Coated Headers, Cat w/02

Seems like a good deal. Headers and a high flow cat with new O2's....

Old 11-19-2012, 11:54 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

those are not long tube headers. unless your in a state that long tubes are not allowed go with long tubes, shorter wont get you much gain.

Last edited by craby; 11-20-2012 at 12:38 AM. Reason: how that :)
Old 11-20-2012, 12:10 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Those are actually mid length headers. Not shorties, not longies. They're in-betweenies.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:53 AM
3rd Gear Member

Oh.......

Quick Reply: A Thread replying to JakeYeah (others as well)