Thoughts & opinions on mods?? Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:04 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Thoughts & opinions on mods?? Thanks

So I want to start buying stuff for my 99 Trans Am even though she's not on the road yet.

I want a few opinions and thoughts on the following:

1st: I'm strongly thinking about getting the SLP smooth intake bellow w/ volant cai

2nd: I'm debating between getting rims or headers.

If I get rims I'm getting black C6 Z06 18x10(rear) 17x9(front)

If I get headers is there a big difference between brands and what they will do for the cars performance? I see most people on here have pacesetters but heard Kooks were the best for the LS1.
Other then price is there a huge difference in gains?
I eventually want to build the T/A to be around 400hp daily driver and want to buy parts that will help accomplish this longterm.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:32 AM
3rd Gear Member

The smooth bellows is worth nothing in terms of performance, its an appearance mod only (and a costly one for a small piece of plastic). The Volant CAI is ok; expensive and has a bad history of poor fitment on the trans am's. A lid is all you need.

You want longtube headers, other than that brand isn't all that important. You most definately ceramic coated at least, stainless if you can afford it. If you get Pacesetters, get a TSP y pipe as the Pacesetter y pipe is absolute garbage. In my opinion BBK has the best budget header availabe; $450 for ceramic coated with amazing fitment and clearance, and their ORY has a fantastic merge. Best budget friendly stainless steel will be the TSP's. Another pro of the TSP is that the primaries are 1 7/8" instead of 1 3/4", which if you plan on doing H/C/I later on is a nice thing to have. The TSP run for $500 w/o a y pipe, a TSP ORY costs about $150, catted is a bit more.

400 bhp or whp? 400 bhp can be hit with boltons and a tune.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:56 PM
2nd Gear member

Thanks FD,

I would eventually like close to 400 rwhp. When I say daily driver I don't literally mean daily. I don't drive everyday mostly weekends and only here or there during the week. But I would like to have the power and be able to drive it like it was stock. Road trip if I wanted. Obviously I'm willing to stop at the pump more often if I ever decided to do this.

I saw mixed reviews regarding the volant and was a bit concerned so hearing that the slp lid is all I need is good, especially for the wallet lol.

I feel the headers are worth investing some money into since I have future plans and plan on having this car forever.
I noticed on the WS6 store I can get HookerHeaders in stainless with 1 7/8 primaries. Any opinions on those?

I'm leaning towards the exhaust components before getting rims. I want to unleash a few ponies and hear the beast, lol.

Since I have a regular hood I was also thinking about getting the WS9 hood in the future. I saw it on the WS6 store site. Living in the city with the extra sticky heat I thought the air vents would be good to help get the heat out and I could get the ram-air as well.
Any thoughts on the hood? My only concern is would I have to worry about rain with the air vents? Unfortunately I will be parking her in the street when I pull her out.

Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate the help and info.

Last edited by Bandit 43; 03-04-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:31 PM
3rd Gear Member

No problem.

I was a fan of Hooker headers after seeing lots of success stories and praise over their good fitment. However, a while ago I believe they changed their design and thus forth the quality has not been as stellar. I still hear the best reviews on the TSP 1 7/8" for a more budget friendly option. Albeit, 1 3/4" is plenty for 400 rwhp and then some.

As for the hood, they look nice but I wouldn't really expect them to extract much, if any heat really. And as for rain, I wouldn't worry about it, they are offset enough to not be over anything critical and a little bit of rain won't harm much as the vents are fairly small. A lot of guys on ls1tech have the ws9 and other hoods with vents and whatnot and I haven't seen any issues. I think there are some nicer looking hoods out there such as the Raptor hood, but they are still nice.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:40 AM
2nd Gear member

Again many thanks FD,

I went on the TexasSpeed's website and definitely like the price for their SS longtubes and catted y-pipe combo.
Do you know if their gaskets are good? b/c I can get everything (LT, ypipe, 02extenders, & gaskets for just under $900
Also in the picture I don't see hookup for air/egr. I'm not passing emissions w/o the hookups, am I? If not can I get this tuned out in the future, then pass?

Thanks again, I just want to be sure I know everything before I commit to purchasing anything.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:59 AM
3rd Gear Member

I believe Texas Speed has a drop down menu that lets you select GM MLS gaskets. GM MLS (multi-layer steel) gaskets are the best ones to get.

These will not have AIR or EGR hookups. EGR shouldnt be a problem for emissions; in 2001 no ls1 cars had EGR, because the LS6 intake did not have the hookup for it at all. AIR is only for pumping air into the cats on startup, it shouldn't have any affect on emissions. You will need to get the codes tuned out for the AIR and EGR though. I am not sure how strict NY is on emissions though, best to look that up on your DMv site or something.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:29 PM
2nd Gear member

Thanks, I will look into it.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:38 PM
2nd Gear member

So this is what I found regarding emissions on the NY DMV site:

What the Emissions Inspection Includes

Each emissions inspection confirms the presence and connection of the vehicle's required emissions control devices. This includes making sure that the vehicle's gas cap is present, is in good condition, and fits properly.

The emissions control devices are examined if the vehicle was originally manufactured with them. The vehicle model years affected are indicated below.

Catalytic converter (CAT) - all model years
Exhaust gas recirculation valve (EGR) - all model years
Positive crankcase ventilation system (PCV) - all model years
Air injection system (AIS) - 1984 and newer
Evaporative emissions control (EVAP) - 1984 and newer
Fuel inlet restrictor (FIR) - 1984 and newer
Thermostatic air cleaner (TAC) - 1984 and newer
You can help your vehicle pass an emissions inspection by keeping it properly maintained. If the vehicle's Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL, or "check engine" light) indicates there may be a malfunction or other problem, have the vehicle properly repaired. A well maintained, properly functioning vehicle uses less fuel and creates less exhaust emissions.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

So you are required to have cats, EGR and AIR, if your car came with those things from the factory, which unfortunately your's did. You could get away with not having any emissions devices on there, depends on the emissions shop you go to; some will be very thorough and others will just scan for codes.

You can get longtubes with provisions for EGR, these will usually be classified as 1998-1999 specific years, as those were the only ls1's with EGR. I do not believe TSP makes them with EGR provisions, but I do believe Hooker does as well as the high end brands such as Kooks and American Racing. AIR shouldn't be an issue for emissions I wouldn't think, even though it does say it. You already plan on the catted y, which in your case is good as you will be covered there. Best bet is to find a local forum/board or someone on here or ls1tech who has a non-emission legal car and ask them about it.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 PM
2nd Gear member

Yeah, it's getting tougher in NY. The inspection stations I believe are required to have cameras now so it isn't like the old days where you could pull a passing car in and put the sticker on whatever car.
I'm just going to spend the money and get a stainless set with emissions. Both hooker and kooks have a set w/ 1 7/8" primaries. The kooks are about $100 more.
In your opinion which do you think is the better brand? I'm kind of leaning towards the kooks after what you said earlier about hooker.

Quick Reply: Thoughts & opinions on mods?? Thanks