Those With Flowmaster 80 Series

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:20 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Those With Flowmaster 80 Series

I see theres a warning on the selling ad for drone. Is it really that bad? Whats the alternative?

Old 09-05-2012, 09:20 AM
4th Gear Member

Depends, how much you wanna spend?

Old 09-05-2012, 09:26 AM
3rd Gear Member

I like the stance of your car 2Z's.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:59 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the American thunder system with the 80 series and it is pretty loud but not too bad. My wife says she can hear me puttin' up the street.

The highway drone is definitely there but my car is pretty loud from wind noise so it's not annoying, I'm happy with the sound. Lots of people on this forum dislike the system, though.

For under $300 on eBay I'm happy with it. The pipes are really nice, I figure I could always change the muffler later if I want better flow.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:26 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AboveTheLogic
Lots of people on this forum dislike the system, though.
Most of us (including me) don't have anything against Flowmaster as far as sound is concerned because they do have nice sound. But the flow isn't quite as well as others at comparable prices.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:01 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Most of us (including me) don't have anything against Flowmaster as far as sound is concerned because they do have nice sound. But the flow isn't quite as well as others at comparable prices.
Well, to answer your question on how much I wanted to spend... The 80 Series is about $90-100. So Id like to stay around that if possible. Now, to your other comment on the flow characteristics... please elaborate and what would be better for the same money? Right now, Im keeping the factory cat on as well as the rest of the stock exhaust. I do however have a suspicion my converter has been gutted. Theres red high temp RTV on all the exhaust joints and the car has a very deep tone to it. alot of people comment on the sound and ask if I have an exhaust system on it....

Old 09-05-2012, 02:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

Its a lot to easier to buy a catback rather than just a muffler. For one, the 80 series as well as most other aftermarket mufflers will have dual outlets, which will cost you more money when you have to go and fab up custom tailpipes. You also lack all the clamps, unless of course you buy those separately and thus pay more anyway.

The 80 series crossflow is proven to flow poorly when compared to pretty much every other brand out there. If you are deadset on that sound/tone then look at Thrush welded and turbo mufflers. They are essentially Flowmaster knockoffs, sound just about identical and only cost around $30.

However, I would recommend a full catback, Magnaflow to be specific.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:14 PM
2nd Gear member

OK, so Ill pass on the FM 80. Please list some alternatives???? I have my own mig and clamps are cheap.... I probly have several already...

Old 09-06-2012, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I have the Flowmaster 80 and I probably wouldn't do it if it were only a muffler swap.

I got (what I think) is a great deal on a complete catback system which is what prompted me to go that direction.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:52 AM
4th Gear Member

Thanks FD for answering 2Z's question on flow for the 80s. Been busy with work and school and only able to check in every now and again.

Here's a link for the Magnaflow catback for our cars. I'm sure you can just get the muffler for a few hundred bucks, but I'm not sure.

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-2592-ma...t1-f-body.aspx

Other options would be:
Thrush mufflers which can be found at a local parts store
Glasspack
Borla (expensive)
Corsa (expensive)
SLP loudmouth
Best bet is to go on youtube and search some vids or in person for others cars and find a system you like the sound of.

Quick Reply: Those With Flowmaster 80 Series