Old 10-23-2009, 03:43 AM
Default thinking about buying this camaro z28

this camaro a good deal or pass?
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

Old 10-23-2009, 05:04 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Have you gone to look at it yet? Test drive it? If not, go look at it, test drive it, listen to it run, look for leaks, see if the a/c works, look over the t-tops (you won't be able to tell if they leak until it rains, no matter what the salesman says), check the exhaust, look for rust underneath and around the wheel wells. Me personally, I'd buy it as a project car (would prefer a manual though and maybe a little cheaper). The driver seat has some wear on it and it is high mileage. It all depends on how it was taken care of by previous owners. Do they offer a warranty there for it? You won't know if it's worth it or not until you look and listen to it.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

That's way the hell too much money for one that old, with those kind of miles, and with a trashed seat. Half that price, and I might consider it. Otherwise, keep looking.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:08 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

i could see pulling that kind of money if the car was actually in good shape. that car hasn't been taken care of at all. the paint is crap and the interior is rough.

i'd keep looking. i see a lot of pretty nice lt1 cars going for around the 4k mark that you would be a lot happier with

Old 10-23-2009, 09:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I say pass on it & continue your search. There are good ones out there still.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:46 AM
1st Gear Member

on eBay I found a couple 97 Camaro Z28's for comparison.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Tru...=p4506.c0.m282

I bought my 01 SS from eBay.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:56 PM

any links to good lt1 cars for cheap?

Old 10-24-2009, 12:21 PM
1st Gear Member

You need to look in your area ! You have to see it and check it out in person and if your not familiar with Camaro's yet, try to find someone who is and bring them with you. The LT1's are nice But those V6's are no pushover either !!

Old 10-26-2009, 02:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

That isn't an awful price. But then cars here in Canada go for much more than they do south of the border, even after the conversion. But compared to what I've seen across the river, that's an average price for a car in decent shape.

I'd think about replacing the seat because once it starts going, it won't stop. But if you replace one, you'll need to replace the other plus the buckets in the back.

It looks to me like the front end has been replaced. Doesn't even look painted from the angles/quality of the pictures. Looked like my aftermarket fender did when I bought it. Just black plastic.

How's the headliner? Again, once that starts going, there's no way back aside from replacement which can be anywhere from a $40 job if you do it yourself to $600 if you go to a shop use a custom material such a leather.

See what they will do for the price for you. If they can't do the price, get them to do some work on it instead, if work needs to be done or will need to be done within a couple of months.

That's after you check it out in person, drive it, sit on it, and check it out again of course. Make notes with your opinions and observations and post them up here.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:32 PM
1st Gear Member

my first red flag would be the seller is advertising the car as a four wheel drive.... or am i the only one that noticed that?

Quick Reply: thinking about buying this camaro z28