thermostat question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 01:19 PM
2nd Gear member
Default thermostat question

Does the thermostat not just tell your fans to come on? So if a car is running in the red on the gauge all of a sudden and your fans are already on (they are wired to cut them on yourself) would the thermostat even be at fault?

Old 08-28-2012, 01:28 PM
2nd Gear member

So after reading, that's not exactly how that works. Anyway, car has plenty of water in it but wants to run hot too quickly or at least the gauge was pointing to that direction. He keeps fans on from the get go too. He's trying to change the thermostat on it. And no, it's not my car this time lol

Old 08-28-2012, 01:34 PM
4th Gear Member

I'm a wee bit confused by the wording of the post but:

thermostat opens at a certain temperature to allow the flow of coolant through the cooling system. It has no effect on the fans

the fans are controlled by the computer as to when they kick on however the coolant temp sensor must function for the computer to know when to engage fans.

I'd suggest checking for the air dam underneath the car

Old 08-28-2012, 03:11 PM
2nd Gear member

These fans are "dual Trans Am" fans and you manually cut them on yourself. I dont know if he even located the thermostat or not cause he's not here right now but my guess is no.

And as far as "wording", I'm a 39 year old mom of 4 kids. Ask me anything about kids or families and I promise you the wording is quite different. Cars are not my forte.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well then you are doing a wonderful job, the thermostat could be sticking closed. When they wear out they will stick closed sometimes or open other times. The best suggeston I can give you Mom is to pick up a manual for the year of car you have at the parts store when you get a thermostat.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:19 AM
3rd Gear Member

Does the car get hot just sitting at a stoplight or when you are driving around town, or on the highway? Or all of the above? Has the cooling system been serviced? Flushed? You say it has plent of "water" in it....It should have the proper mixture of antifreeze in it. Could be the water pump as well. Check the radiator cap too. Lots of things can cause an overheat condition. You just got to go by process of elimination.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:38 AM
2nd Gear member

It was perfectly fine going to school and back lastnight. That's an hr round trip.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:35 AM
3rd Gear Member

So your saying now it is fine?

Old 08-29-2012, 05:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

Sometime those thermostats will act up like that had it happen before. I would be careful and git it changed it is a lot cheaper than a new motor.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:01 PM
2nd Gear member

Well it wont matter anymore. I'm posting another post

Quick Reply: thermostat question