Thermostat = More HP?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Thermostat = More HP?

Was just reading around and i heard a lower degree thermostat will give me HP gains. Is this real or not?

Also is there any specific type of thermostat that i need, or are they all universal?

Old 06-21-2010, 10:07 AM
3rd Gear Member

it is true because the motor is running at a cooler temp. the slp 160* tstat is wat id get its like $20

Old 06-21-2010, 10:34 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Without a tune, don't run anything lower than a 180 degree thermostat.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Overdrive Member

When you do things like lower the temp of Tstat you may gain 1 or 2 HP but you will also lose in the mileage department and in the O2 sensors will suffer. The losses in the mileage will not outweigh the gain in the HP department. Also you may not get enough heat in the exhaust to allow the cat to work properly. SLP dropped the temp for the main reason of running more advance on the timing. By lowering the temp and advancing the timing you gain alot more HP. The advance in timing will cause predetonation in hotter running engines so SLP was forced to lower the engine temp. Yes they sacrifised mileage, they use O2 sensors that are tuned for the lower temps and the high flow cat does not need as much heat to work properly. When you put all that together you gain alot more HP and make the changes worth the loss in mileage. Just putting the lower temp Tstat in will only give you problems with other systems in your car even a CEL stating your O2 sensors are bad or you will force your car into a lean condition to try to raise the temp to what the computer is programed as a norm.

Massey

Old 06-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Ninja Administrator

this should not be considered a power mod but a support mod. running cooler helps protect your engine when you beat on it or run more aggressive tunes, running the engine 20* cooler isnt going to affect your intake charge all that much while driving

Old 06-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Running a lower rated stat isn't going to do squat unless you make the radiator fan(s) kick on at a lower temp. Otherwise, the engine temp is going to keep rising until the fans do kick on (220+ degrees) and the stat will be constantly flowing wide open.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:47 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Running a lower rated stat isn't going to do squat unless you make the radiator fan(s) kick on at a lower temp. Otherwise, the engine temp is going to keep rising until the fans do kick on (220+ degrees) and the stat will be constantly flowing wide open.
you'd be surprised how cool a motor will run if coolant constantly flows. my trucks tstat was stuck wide open and it never went over 170 it stays right down in the 160 range

Old 06-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
If you are sitting still. I have a 180 deg thermo in mine and the only time my fans kick is when I sitting in a traffic jam. I do agree with everyone else tho with out a tune it will not do much for you. The main reason i went with a 180 was I found one that if it fails it fails open not closed like most of the others. I think they are call "Fail-safe" or something like that.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by z28rob18
you'd be surprised how cool a motor will run if coolant constantly flows. my trucks tstat was stuck wide open and it never went over 170 it stays right down in the 160 range
I wouldn't be surprised at all. I know engines in certain vehicles can run cooler with no stat at all. I haven't tried it with a 4th gen Camaro with a restrictive radiator air intake flow though. Without a stat, I'd be more concerned in stop and go traffic as opposed to open road driving. Maybe someone else here has tried going sans stat?
Edit: Actually, I shouldn't say stat free, since even a wide open one creates a restriction. How about, if running a 160 stat and driving in traffic in the heat of the summer. Where does the gauge like to go?

Last edited by Camaro 69; 06-21-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

it was a simple question he asked if it gained hp yes they are said to gain 1-2hp. i agree though that it doesnt matter wat tstat you have if ur in traffic in the heat there's no airflow its gonna run hotter. its not a mod i'd bother doing and i never did do it. also 1-2hp is nothing you will ever feel/realize. the only way i see it useful is if its tuned for it and the fans r either manual or tuned to be on early. and even if its tuned i dont think it'd matter if your not racing it

Quick Reply: Thermostat = More HP?