Technial Questions on my Z

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 02:09 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by kzmyz
Why would it be intermittent? Like I said it runs fine at times and others not....
That's what intermittent means. Inconsistent or happening at irregular intervals. Intermittent problems are the hardest to track down which is why I am also having trouble with mine.

I see where the confusion came in, I didn't quote what I was referring to. I went back and edited the post. I was referring to the vehicle stutter and shaking intermittently with no obvious cause.

Last edited by JGuy07; 09-23-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:06 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It not the tune. The motors are not that different. A small change in Cam profile would not cause a "miss". These types of diveabilty issue are the tuffest to track down. Most dealership reserve thier best mechaincs for this type of repair.

If you are not sure when plugs/wires/fuel filter where replaced you should do it that first. High resistance in a set of wires can cause a miss fire as the motor warms up and yes the results of aged seconday ingnition system can vary day to day.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by JGuy07
That's what intermittent means. Inconsistent or happening at irregular intervals. Intermittent problems are the hardest to track down which is why I am also having trouble with mine.

I see where the confusion came in, I didn't quote what I was referring to. I went back and edited the post. I was referring to the vehicle stutter and shaking intermittently with no obvious cause.
That was from the 3800 guy not yours. I understand yours

Old 09-23-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
It not the tune. The motors are not that different. A small change in Cam profile would not cause a "miss". These types of diveabilty issue are the tuffest to track down. Most dealership reserve thier best mechaincs for this type of repair.

If you are not sure when plugs/wires/fuel filter where replaced you should do it that first. High resistance in a set of wires can cause a miss fire as the motor warms up and yes the results of aged seconday ingnition system can vary day to day.
I guess I could see it being a bare wire or something but not a plug..was the guy right with the one sensor though? I'll find out what one he said for sure and post it.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:19 AM

The guy said if the Corvette engine came out of a 96 Corvette, the knock sensor is not compatible with your 95 PCM. You either have to have a resistor installed in the PCM, or get the correct 93-95 low resistance knock sensor.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:34 PM

Ttt???

Old 09-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Tech Droid

If your car still has the 95 computer, then the PCM does not care about the crank sensor. If you have no O2 sensors, then the engine has no choice but to run crappy when it goes into closed loop and starts looking for O2 sensor data. Is the CEL lit?, if it is get the PCM scanned & find out what it is complaining about.
Forget about the cam lobe stuff as a bad cam will make the engine run bad at all times. You could unplug the MAF, the PCM should light the CEL, if it doesn't then some one messed with the lamp. The engine should run OK without the MAF unplugged forcing the PCM into open loop. Drive the car with the MAF unplugged, it won't cause any harm, and see how the engine reacts when it warmes up.
If the person that put the headers on removed the O2 sensors, that person was confused,to say the least.
Try to get the PCM scanned and see if any codes are set. Your car is a 95, so it needs a OBDI scanner with a cord that can connect to an OBDII diagnostic connector.

Last edited by z28pete; 09-25-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:32 PM

The CEL is on the brake light is on the security light is on and the abs light because the abs box was removed. I unplugged the map on it after it was warmed up and started running crappy and it died. Plugged it in and it fired up. And I didn't say crank sensors I corrected it to knock sensor