talk me down

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Default talk me down

i really really want a V8 ss camaro but i currently have a 2000 V6 convertible camaro. i'll be turning 17 in a month so i know my insurance will just butt rape me all day if i get a V8. does anyone have any ideas that could hold me over until i can get an ss?

weird thread i know, thanks!

Old 09-07-2009, 11:05 PM
1st Gear Member

right now im on the same boat man just work on what ya got now do the exterior interior find something that you think would be cool in your camaro and work on that til you can find one. What shape is you car in? there is always room for improvment

Old 09-07-2009, 11:43 PM
2nd Gear member

I had the same problem until my V6 got totaled and with the insurance money i could afford a Z28. I didn't really figure anything out, jus lucked into a car

Old 09-08-2009, 08:30 PM

Well, I do'n't try to talk people out of what they want, but since your asking for it . . . .

You already have a nice car. At age 17 I was driving a Astro van with around 270k on it. I would suggest you enjoy that car you have all summer long. With the money you have saved up buy a truck or van that you can beat on during the winter and have fun without destroying your nice car. since what your gonna buy is a cheap beater save the rest of your money and you will be glad to have it in a few years.

You already have a Camaro. Why do you feel the need for a V*? It will cost you more in insurance, cost more in gas, and this takes away from all the money you have to do things you enjoy. How oftin can you actually utilize your Camaro's power now? If the answer is not very oftin which is true for anyone that doesnt live near a track then why waste your money?

Honestly, I would not trade my 3.8 for a V*. That is nothing against the V8. I just see no reason to have one. I rarely go over 70 mpg anyways. I'd rather spend the money on myself and the girl riding in my passenger seat.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

Drag race some 4 cyl civics with go-kart mufflers; it will make you very happy and proud of your sixer. I am satisfied with my sixer, I am 18 and I have already gone through insurance agents on pricing out a Z28, it ain't going to be worth it until I am in my mid 20's. I got a ways to go. The only thing I wish different on my car is the transmission, how I wish it was a standard.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:15 AM
In the Staging Lanes

im 18 with a z28. insurance (in cali) 440 every 6 month period. seemed reasonable for me all concidering. but v6 are still fun and if its cheaper and keeps you happy, stick with it

Old 09-09-2009, 07:54 AM
3rd Gear Member

well, i'd enjoy you V6er for now, and try save up some money for a V8 if thats what you really want.

If your a modder and are crazy for power then just save for the V8 and spend cash on that when you have it because other than for an awesome sound an a few more ponies the same cash on a V6 wont got as far. If not mod the V6 for appearance. This is only my opinion as I believe in 'each to their own' so essentially if you like it do it!

nmallory56, you guys have cheap insurance in US, im in UK and an 22 ( prob one of the youngest guys over here, if no the youngest with a Z28) and paid £1500 for a year which is prob about $2000 ish. oh well , i love my Z so its all good.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Parrish
Well, I do'n't try to talk people out of what they want, but since your asking for it . . . .

You already have a nice car. At age 17 I was driving a Astro van with around 270k on it. I would suggest you enjoy that car you have all summer long. With the money you have saved up buy a truck or van that you can beat on during the winter and have fun without destroying your nice car. since what your gonna buy is a cheap beater save the rest of your money and you will be glad to have it in a few years.

You already have a Camaro. Why do you feel the need for a V*? It will cost you more in insurance, cost more in gas, and this takes away from all the money you have to do things you enjoy. How oftin can you actually utilize your Camaro's power now? If the answer is not very oftin which is true for anyone that doesnt live near a track then why waste your money?

Honestly, I would not trade my 3.8 for a V*. That is nothing against the V8. I just see no reason to have one. I rarely go over 70 mpg anyways. I'd rather spend the money on myself and the girl riding in my passenger seat.
Seriously, before you buy a second sports car or replace the one you have, work on something you can drive during the winter. If not, you'll hate yourself when the snow hits the ground, Camaros are horrible in the snow, and who would want to make their baby try and go through all that? :P. (That is if you live in a part of America that it snows, I didn't think about looking to see where you live)

Old 09-10-2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Trollsmeesh
Seriously, before you buy a second sports car or replace the one you have, work on something you can drive during the winter. If not, you'll hate yourself when the snow hits the ground, Camaros are horrible in the snow, and who would want to make their baby try and go through all that? :P. (That is if you live in a part of America that it snows, I didn't think about looking to see where you live)

Another note about the winter. Even if you are the best driver in the world and can control your car in the winter you still have salt on the roads. Since a camaro sits so low to the ground it is bound to get salt all over the underbody and the salt WILL EAT YOUR UNDERBODY. To repare the damage that is done from this would cost more money then what a beater truck would.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Man it's nice to live in the south and be in my late 20's! We only have snow on the ground for one day a year,if at all,and ins. on my z is reasonable! Anyways just enjoy the car you have. there's tons of bolt on stuff you can do to make it better.

Quick Reply: talk me down