Taillight wiring diagrams

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 01:52 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Taillight wiring diagrams

Okay I'm looking for a way to kill my taillights so that when I press the brakes they DO NOT illuminate. A few of my neighbors like to call the police on me at around 2am when I come home. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that could help me? Oh and any suggestions for a switch?

Old 08-07-2010, 03:39 AM
1st Gear Member

sorry but isnt that the purpose of brakes. to see when your brakeing?

Old 08-07-2010, 03:56 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

and with your exhaust i think there hearing you. lol you could wire into the brake switch if its the brake lights you trying to disable.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I think that's ridiculous. I'd sit in front of their house with the high beams on for awhile. Calling the cops because you're coming home at night? I can see it being a problem if you're blasting a system or revving it super loud in front of their house, but not just regular driving. Screw that. I wouldn't fix anything. You have a right to come home whenever you want.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member

^^ what she said

Old 08-07-2010, 03:42 PM
2nd Gear member

I own a v6 so my exhaust isn't terribly loud. the reason they keep calling the cops on me is because I drive 30mph through my neighborhood at night...The speed limit is 35mph...and its a bunch of older people that like to notify the police. The reason I want to disable my brake lights is because thats the only way they know when I'm coming home. Once I get into my neighborhood I kill my headlights so they can't see my black car. Once they see brake lights they call the police.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member

well maybe they call cause they think your some prowler, iv had them called on me befor cause i was waiting for a friend and i cut the lights off and left it running. or maybe back into the driveway so they dont see? i really wouldnt go threw the trouble to change something thats not even wrong just for them. maybe have a talk with them?

Old 08-08-2010, 01:18 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

So what exactly do the cops tell you then? Those taillights are not bright at all, that's part of the reason I swapped to the earlier style, I couldn't see anything behind me. And what the hell are old people doing up at 2am? I don't see how it's worth reconfiguring your lights just to satisfy a bunch of old people that will die soon anyway. They just want something to ***** about because they're old and miserable (can you tell I hate old people?). The cops can't do anything about factory taillights anyway. It's a cool idea to be completely blacked out, but I wouldn't do it just because of the old people.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Overdrive Member

Last I checked it is not illigal to drive home with your headlamps on. If they keep calling the police on you for no reason, and by no reason I mean radio at an acceptable level, proper and legal exhaust, doing the speed limits, then you can file a harassment charge.

While I was putting the engine in my car a couple of weeks ago, my friend's neighbor called the police on us for having the car torn appart. The pierce Co. Sherrif shows up to his house (again since this lady has made at least 5 calls we know of) and finds the car appart, me cleaning my engine parts, my friend cooking a pizza, my kids playing with the puppy in the yard and my wife and his GF watching the kids. This lady calls becuase she thinks that we should have a "real" mechanic do the work on the cars. The officer informed us that there was nothing wrong with what we were doing, and to ignore this lady. Kinda hard to ignore some one that just calls the cops on you. She tried to have his car towed because he parked it on the curb and had his hood off while we were working on sanding it, in the garage. This lady has never talked to us, never said a word. We know who it is because she showed the tow truck driver where his car was. Needless to say it is legal to park the cars where they were, legal to work on the car in the garage or outside since there are no covenances in his neighborhood, legal to play the radio durring daylight hours. Her calling the police over and over is harassment and the officer informed us that she would be informed of her actions and what could happen if she continues. That led to her driving by slowly, over and over for the rest of the day.

Follow the rules, dont do anything stupid and you will have the law behind you. Cutting off the tail lights/ stop lights in the dark is not legal. That could get you in trouble.

Massey