Swapping the V6 from my Camaro to a 427

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Default Swapping the V6 from my Camaro to a 427

Hello. I am new to this site. My name is Robert. I am in the Army and currently deployed to Afghanistan. I have a 1995 Camaro with a 3.4 liter V6. The V6 is shot so I was wanting to put a 427 in it. If anyone has any information that they can give me it would be greatky appreciated. I am also wanting to put a superchager on it. I am trying to get 700 horsepower to the rear wheels. So I know I need about 750 to 800 horsepower in the motor. I would also like to know what would be the best tranny and rearend for it. I want the tranny to be either 5 or 6 speed. I am also building the motor from the block up. Thank you.

Last edited by badtothebone86; 09-06-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Needed to add something
Old 09-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Big block has been done but your buget is going to need to be huge. There are very few parts out there for a big block 4th gen most of the parts will need custom made. There is a link floating around of one shop that put a big block in. I have no idea how you would put a blower on a BB cause the blower is going to need to come right up thru the windshield.

You can pick up a 3rd gen and all the parts are available for your big block monster and you will have half the money in it. If I had to guess using your 4th gen will add a good 5-8K to the cost of your project. You could get a nice 3rd gen for about $500 and sell your 4th gen for $600. Saving you all that money for more ponies

Old 09-07-2010, 03:05 AM

Do I have to put a blower on it? I was just goin to do a hood scoop on it. I am also not going to do everything at once. It is my project car that I want to rebuild. right now I plan on building to motor first. I would like to know what would be the best camshaft crankshaft and pistons for it? I need about 750 to 800 horsepower in the motor. Thanks.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:13 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

800 HP natural aspirated is a pretty tall order for any non-hemi engine.

This is just my opinion but you really need to bring a pro in on an engine build like this. I use to build race engines and it’s a team of machine shop and builder. Machine shops get use to working with certain parts because part do vary more then you know. Also you do not want to be the guy that tries to come up with a new combo atleast not at first. You do realize that an 800 HP engine means the only part that will be GM will be the block. I would guess you in the 20K area for the motor and that is on the cheap.

Step one will be. Define what you want from the motor. You want an engine that will dyno at 800hp? What if the first 5000 RPMs are almost useless? Is this an all out Drag car? Are you talking Carb or Fuel injection? Will the car need to be able to drive in normal conditions? Could it get caught in a traffic jam?

I say all this cause I have a friend with a 70 Chevelle. He wanted a monster big block. So he had it built to the limits. Even with a pros help he had tons of issues getting to his goal of 580 HP. When he was done he hated it. He had almost 18K in it and it did great on the dyno and the ¼ mile but it only ran well when he drove it like he was running the ¼ mile. To take it to a cruise or just a drive thru town was a battle. Fast forward 4 years and he installed a new cam and a 4K fuel injection system and he now dynos at 450 HP and he is as happy as can be with the car now. Talk about regret he knows for around 12K he could have gotten a turn key 502 EFI and been enjoying his car for the last 4 year and have 10 K in his pocket. He thought he wanted massive HP but what he real wanted was massive torque.

Now if you are talking 750 streetable HP you should be looking at a twin turbo BB. Course that would double my 20K estimate.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:45 AM

I plan on useing fuel infection and I want it where I can run it on the drag strip but also crusie in it. I know it will be difficult. So the best thing would be to have twin turbos to be bale to have it street legal?

Old 09-07-2010, 06:23 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You may want to look into the LS motors but most of the extream HP cars I know of that have street manner are turbo or loaded with NO2.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:53 PM

Ok. So does a V8 sound pretty good with turbos on it? I only heard V6's and inline 4s with them in it.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by badtothebone86
Ok. So does a V8 sound pretty good with turbos on it? I only heard V6's and inline 4s with them in it.
Yes,you should hear a twin turbo V-8.
Smart money is to go LS motor from a donor car,wrecked late Vette is your best bet.
You can get parts to bolt it in and it will fit,unlike a rat 427 which will be a huge undertaking to make fit.
Why do you want 800hp in a street car?
Have you even even driven a car with 400+hp?
400-500hp is a lot of power and surely more than most people will ever need.
It's pretty hard to use 800hp on the street and even harder to make it cruise decent.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:40 PM

Because its something i want to do. I want to see how far I can push it. Plus it would be fun. Yes I drove a car with 400+ horsepower. It was fun. Just I wanted more power.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

heres your biggest problem the bb doesnt want to fit in the car almost the whole front end needs to be changed and some needs to be custom made also the car doesnt want to run that motor the comp will not work so your looking at 100s of hrs tuning the comp if you know how or tons of money getting a garage to do it i agree with gorn do it with a third gen it will be wayyyyyyyyy easier and wayyyyyyyyyy cheaper and sell the fourth gen and make some money back

Quick Reply: Swapping the V6 from my Camaro to a 427