swapping to 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Also, you posted that you got the 454 installed and to me, it sounds like it all works but you have

no starter
no distributor
no intake manifold

so how could it be working ?
i never said it was running. i wish it was running that would be awesome. but yeah i need a little bit of stuff till i can get it running.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Why the Nova over his Camaro? Hmmm...a big block Nova that won't ever lose it's value (and will actually climb), or a 97 Camaro that will only go down in value as it gets older? Not a tuff choice there. Plus I'll bet he weighed over all the work needed to convert his 97 to a V8, where working on the engine in the Nova is a breeze by comparison. Have him give you a ride in it when he's done, then ask the same question.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:18 PM
ROTM Director
Ride of the Month Director

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Why the Nova over his Camaro? Hmmm...a big block Nova that won't ever lose it's value (and will actually climb), or a 97 Camaro that will only go down in value as it gets older? Not a tuff choice there. Plus I'll bet he weighed over all the work needed to convert his 97 to a V8, where working on the engine in the Nova is a breeze by comparison. Have him give you a ride in it when he's done, then ask the same question.
i guess your right. i mean, that nova can only hold it's value. it's already depreciated about as far as it can go! unless it's different down there, 74' nova's aren't that hot of an item, and are less so than a 4th gen. once 72' was over and done, the car's really changed completely.

hey good for him, glad he got a car he likes. but i don't think it's a better choice for market value than a 4th gen would be in general.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:40 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 97camaro89
im alot of things but a liar is not one of them. and here are some pictures just to prove that i am not lying.
But nobody called you a liar. It's just that your posts contradict each other. In post #50 you said that the vehicle has 4 wheel disc brakes but you then post pictures of rims installed and I invite you to look closely at what type of brake is there; yup, it's a drum.

Any you wonder why I'm so dang confused.

Come on, what do you have? I'm willing to toss in my experience as are others but you're all over the map with respect to what you have.

Please come clean with exactly what you have.

Seriously, if that is a car that you are trying to buy I'd be hesitant as from what I can see, the interior is tough, it's missing rear windows and I'd yank the motor out and if that is a 454 going in there, I'd change the front springs as well as clean up the engine bay.

And one more item to confuse me. You posted that it was a "freshly rebuilt" engine but again from the photos, it looks like a tired engine with some pretty valve covers, not a freshly rebuilt unit.

Last edited by torque_is_good; 06-02-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Around here those cars have never really been worth much. 72 and older are a different story. I have driven cars and trucks that have had built engines in them and while it is fun to have that much power I will take the comfort and ease of driving my V6 Camaro and if I want massive power and performance I will seek a newer Z28 or Corvette with Fuel injection, that is just me tho. Also while our 4th gens are still depreciating they will make a turn for the better in coming years just like the older Camaros, Novas and other cars we call Classics today.

Just my $.02

Oh yea when I was 18 I had a 66 Mustang that I ran a 13.6 in the 1320 and while the car was a nice car and fun to drive it was also a pain in the tail having a 3000LB pressure plate with mechanical clutch linkage, and 4.11 rear gears. Fun for short trips and nice days but not for commuting
and daily driving.

Massey

Old 06-02-2010, 03:57 PM
ROTM Director

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
In post #50 you said that the vehicle has 4 wheel disc brakes but you then post pictures of rims installed and I invite you to look closely at what type of brake is there; yup, it's a drum.

Any you wonder why I'm so dang confused.

me too. after careful review and an independent investigation, the ruling is that those are indeed drum not discs in the pictures.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Massey
Around here those cars have never really been worth much. 72 and older are a different story. Also while our 4th gens are still depreciating they will make a turn for the better in coming years just like the older Camaros, Novas and other cars we call Classics today.
I don't disagree that the older Novas will always be more desirable than his vintage. But his is still a rare breed, especially once it's tricked up, and doesn't look half-*** bad.
4th gen Camaro values won't be just like the older Camaros and Novas are, not in our lifetime anyway. And even if the rest of the run of the mill Camaros do take a turn for the better, they're still going to be many laps behind the old ones. Now, a limited edition, anniversary, or last of the breed (02) is a different story. And on the comfort and ease subject, sure I don't drive my Camaro for those reasons either, it's a toy. My everyday "beater" is a Vette for the best of both worlds. The Camaro is for when the pavement really deserves a beating!

Old 06-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Overdrive Member

I would love to have a 69 to "beat" the pavement with. That is my dream Camaro and I hope one day to own one.

Massey

Old 06-04-2010, 09:45 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ok looking back over the car it is a 1975 chevy nova it does have disc brakes. but only on the front. when i posted that post(#50) i had never looked over the whole car quit yet. so yes you were right those back ones are drums. but anyways. which one is better for my engine dual plane or single plane intake? i was thinking dual cuz aren't they better for idle and low rpms. or am i getting them mixxed up?

Old 06-04-2010, 09:48 AM
ROTM Director

Originally Posted by 97camaro89
ok looking back over the car it is a 1975 chevy nova it does have disc brakes. but only on the front. when i posted that post(#50) i had never looked over the whole car quit yet. so yes you were right those back ones are drums. but anyways. which one is better for my engine dual plane or single plane intake? i was thinking dual cuz aren't they better for idle and low rpms. or am i getting them mixxed up?
it would be good to set some power goals again for the BB and work towards that. what kind of power are you looking for? 500 HP again?

Quick Reply: swapping to 350