swapping to 350

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 07:17 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Massey
LOL this is great... Wow I would love for you to tell me what I need to take a tarball looking engine (the intake galley looks like it is well used) and turn it into 500 HP with just heads and cam, oh and throw a couple of 4bbls on just in case. Yea right... How is the oiling going to be handled? what size carbs 750 Holley Dominators X2 = pwnage. yea this is great.
we can't assume that he meant dual 750's

He could be using dual 600's and plans on spinning that thing to 7000 rpm or more and basically running it on the strip. Let's wait to see what he is doing to support the dual quads. As many of us know, it's not as simple as slapping in a cam, some heads and then topping it off with dual 600's or greater. I'd like to see the budget for the project. Heck, it might be cheaper to get a 4 bolt crate stroker 383.

2 examples below

http://chevystreetperformance.com/383_420drop.htm

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/9...-Engine-505-HP

Old 05-19-2010, 08:10 AM
In the Staging Lanes

yes this will be an expensive build. but the good thing about it is i can take all the time in the world. this is a PROJECT build. i can as much time with this engine as i want to. ill get you the specs on the cam asap. and yes at first i did say i was going to keep the stock heads but changed my mind. and yes their will be a lot of cuttin the cowl when i do decide to put it in but i think it will be well worth it. anyways i gotta go to work so when i get home ill get all the specs for everything.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:12 AM
In the Staging Lanes

oh yeah im always going and getting the crankshaft balanced at a machine shop i know. and going with balanced pistons. so itll all be blanaced in the engine.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:56 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 97camaro89
oh yeah im always going and getting the crankshaft balanced at a machine shop i know. and going with balanced pistons. so itll all be blanaced in the engine.

Are your intentions to use the stock crankshaft?

Seriously, your tune has now changed. I applaud anyone who has an engine that they were given and wants to rip it apart and build it. That is a fun project and a good learning experience. But, if your intent is to ultimately put it into a 4th gen, be it in 2 years, or whenever, then you need to know your goals and build accordingly.

I really really really encourage you to find a 4th gen LT1 or LS1 that is basically stock, maybe bolt ons and see if that is enough for you. If it is, then you are looking at a 350HP build which is much less costly than a 500hp build.

But, if you just have to have 500HP then you need to not only budget for the engine, but the driveline as well. Also, you now need to make sure the block and rotating assembly will support that power before worrying about the top end

Old 05-19-2010, 09:25 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

yes this will be an expensive build. but the good thing about it is i can take all the time in the world. this is a PROJECT build. i can as much time with this engine as i want to. ill get you the specs on the cam asap. and yes at first i did say i was going to keep the stock heads but changed my mind. and yes their will be a lot of cuttin the cowl when i do decide to put it in but i think it will be well worth it. anyways i gotta go to work so when i get home ill get all the specs for everything.
so its not assuming you were staying with stock heads and cam since that's what you told us from day one and didn't mention that you changed your mind until AFTER you said we were assuming too much.

i really do wish you the best of luck in your build. it could be a really cool project when all is said and done. but it sounds to me like you need to do more planning and ACTUALLY decide what you want out of the car. you have a lot of people on this site that know a lot about what you're trying to do and i think you need to listen to them a little more and ask for their help, not just get an attitude when they try to educate you.

i will be watching this thread as it goes and i hope it works out for the best!

Old 05-19-2010, 11:20 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Oh so I'm sorry I flipped out for no reason. It was uncalled for on my part. But the cam is an edelbrock performer series cam. Just go to there site and check it out. And the head are going to be oversized aluminum heads with 250cc combustin(idk if I got the numbers right ill have to look again.) And I'm going to go find a balanced crank and with forged and balanced pistons. I'm probably just going to order all the stuff from whatever checker has to offer cuz I know the manager and he gives me his big discount.but yeah and I'm contemplating wether or not to put NOS in it or not. And I have a th350 tranny that I'm putting behind the motor for right now till I save up enough money to get a nice 4 or 5 speed. But those are my for sure plans. No more changing my mind on it. So this is going to be a exspensive build and is going to take a very long time but I don't mind. I'm having fun with it and it is a very educational build.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:29 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Sorry wrong specs on heads. 70cc combustin 185 cc intake volume and 60cc exhaust volume. Edelbrock aluminum estreet heads

Old 05-19-2010, 11:31 AM
2nd Gear member

so are you saying 4 or 5 speed manual or auto cuz if you are drag racing the car i would keep the th350 in it and get it built its case is going to be stronger than a 700r4

Old 05-19-2010, 02:07 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

i was going to say, 250cc chambers would be crazy! haha.

i agree with stix as well

Old 05-19-2010, 02:08 PM
4th Gear Member

Oh so I'm sorry I flipped out for no reason. It was uncalled for on my part. But the cam is an edelbrock performer series cam. Just go to there site and check it out. And the head are going to be oversized aluminum heads with 250cc combustin(idk if I got the numbers right ill have to look again.) And I'm going to go find a balanced crank and with forged and balanced pistons. I'm probably just going to order all the stuff from whatever checker has to offer cuz I know the manager and he gives me his big discount.but yeah and I'm contemplating wether or not to put NOS in it or not. And I have a th350 tranny that I'm putting behind the motor for right now till I save up enough money to get a nice 4 or 5 speed. But those are my for sure plans. No more changing my mind on it. So this is going to be a exspensive build and is going to take a very long time but I don't mind. I'm having fun with it and it is a very educational build.
I wish you luck but here is my last 2 cents on the matter

Now you say that you may put NOS in it although I have no issues with NOS, but there are other nitrous systems out there that are as good and not as expensive.

Since you now said that you may go the nitrous route, it is even more vital that you take a good hard look at that v8 you were given. Check to see if it's a 4 or 2 bolt main. I strongly encourage you to pay more attention to the rotating assembly and have the block itself carefully inspected.

Yes, you could just go ***** nilly, toss on some parts and see what happens. But, we're talking a 4th gen fbody and you don't just easily drop in an engine and rip it back out.

Your theme is a 500hp engine so I suggest an ounce of prevention now, vs the pound of cure later.

If you already have a turbo 350 then that's fine. If you don't yet have it, then i suggest a different choice because without some work, you get a good amount of driveline loss from the th350 so WHP may disappoint you. (but a squirt of nitrous solves that real quick)

Quick Reply: swapping to 350