Supercharger ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Default Supercharger ?

what kind of supercharger should i put on my 97 z28 camaro with the 5.7 and how much is it ?

Old 10-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 10-22-2011, 05:06 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^Ignore that...
You can buy a vortech kit used from a forum like ls1tech, or maybe search your local craigslist. They can range from 2-3k used.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:12 PM

ok thanks

Old 10-22-2011, 08:39 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes because putting a super charger on a stock 15 year old car is a good idea. If you don't have 6K a garage full of tool plus the abilty to learn a lot your wasting your time. You have 4 to 6 months worth of research before you should even ask a single question. By then you will realize that the price of the super charger itself is a small part of building a supercharged car.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:02 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Let's try to put it to him in a little nicer way, shall we?
P.B., as was being "hinted" above, it's not a good idea to slap a supercharger on an old tired engine, without first doing some support modifications to the engine.
Money spent to do the project will be more than just what the s.c. costs you.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:43 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Let's try to put it to him in a little nicer way, shall we?
P.B., as was being "hinted" above, it's not a good idea to slap a supercharger on an old tired engine, without first doing some support modifications to the engine.
Money spent to do the project will be more than just what the s.c. costs you.
I can understand how Gorn posted it.

This site has a search function.

Yes, we don't have as much activity as other forums and we do want more posters

But, here we have a noob who so far

has posted that he had a shop install headers and cat back and they removed all the O2's (according to the poster) and the car runs like crap

The same poster has DECLARED (not asked) that he's going to get a "performance" intake manifold on his vehicle which only has headers as mods (oh, and a chip which is interesting BTW on an OBD2 vehicle)

and to add to that, the poster now asks about supercharging the same engine which in another thread is asking why his oil pressure hovers around the red area.

I think Gorn actually gave him good advice with the link to the $35 Ebay "supercharger"

The poster asked which S/C people suggest and Gorn's advice was spot on. It would then be up to the poster to ask why that recommendation was made.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ That's all fine and dandy, but "noob's" come in here asking questions because they don't know the answer. Gorn's answer may have been a correct (safe) answer to give a grade schooler, or to someone with absolutely no car knowledge (maybe), but I doubt that's what the guy was looking for. And I usually wait to get to know people a little bit before giving them a swift kick in the nuts. Also, I'm trying to advocate diplomacy, my good intentions shouldn't be the ones in question here.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:55 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
And I usually wait to get to know people a little bit before giving them a swift kick in the nuts.
Isn't that what forums are for? Don't ask questions unless you want to get flamed all over.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:17 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Ya my first post was a joke. My second post shows some annoyance but I think I misdirected the annoyance. I have a lot of respect for Socom for the work he has done on his car but to answer that question with a straight answer like that does not do the original poster any good. I picture some high school kid going to school saying I am going to put a supercharger on my car and it will only cost 2K. Camaro69 post is what my first post should have been.

Quick Reply: Supercharger ?