stock rearend and stock tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 02:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default stock rearend and stock tranny

i got a stock rearend that i want to fix up. does anybody know what or where to get a locker for my rearend to make my wheels spin at the same time?

also, is their a kits or tranny that is automaction that can handle high rpms and touge because i am rebuilding the motor and puttin nos in the car?

Old 11-25-2007, 11:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: stock rearend and stock tranny

anybody?

Old 11-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Overdrive Member

http://www.ftpp.net/LT1/LT1MAIN.htm

Drivetrain for rear end; Transmission for shift kits and such.
Try looking before asking such EASY questions.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:32 AM
3rd Gear Member

Definately go with a shift kit for the trans but I also suggest a higher stall converter. The auto tranny can take some abuse but depending on how well tha car was cared for and the milage you may end up having to rebuild it soon. As far as the rear end goes don't waste your money trying to beef up the stocker. They are crap! Your best bet would be to put a 12 bolt and do it right the first time. Good luck.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:59 AM
In the Staging Lanes

you mean, axle swap!

ORIGINAL: LT1RUNNER

Definately go with a shift kit for the trans but I also suggest a higher stall converter. The auto tranny can take some abuse but depending on how well tha car was cared for and the milage you may end up having to rebuild it soon. As far as the rear end goes don't waste your money trying to beef up the stocker. They are crap! Your best bet would be to put a 12 bolt and do it right the first time. Good luck.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:09 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yes the stock axle will not hold up to much more power than what a stock engine puts out. You can easily spend a $1000 rebuilding the one you have and it still won't last long. Better off in the long run.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

never did axle swap before. do i go with aftermarket or junkyard find!

Old 11-26-2007, 05:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

That depends on what you plan on doing. Are you going to beat the car and race all the time or is it going to be a driver and occasional race? If it's going to be a beater then I would search out the local junk yards for a old 12 bolt. If you plan on driving the car daily and have your race from time to time (like me)then I would go for an after market onefrom Strange. It all depends on what your going to do and how much you have to spend. Good luck.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

this car is a daily driver and i do take it on the strip also ever weekend(not now since the track is gettin fix, also a new look).

Old 11-27-2007, 01:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well then the next question you need to ask yourself is am I keeping the car or am I getting rid of it in the next year or so. Don't put a lot of money into a car your not going to keep.

Quick Reply: stock rearend and stock tranny