Still Having Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 06:12 PM
Overdrive Member
Default Still Having Starting issues

Ok so about 2 months ago the camaro got parked, i replaced the header gaskets and installed a new starter.I didnt have issues prior,the new started was even bench tested and passed.I even cleaned the battery cables and termanals.Checked all fuses and they are good, even just installed a new ignition switch.When i turn the key i can hear the the starter make a single click then about 2/3 seconds later it will click again.If i try starting it with the door closed i can see the low coolant light, light up when i turn the key to crank it, if i have the door open and do the same the same thing happens except now with the door open the radio will cut off completely.And the battery is completely charged i even have a car starter tp assist even if the battery was low, what could it be ?

Old 11-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: Still Having Starting issues

Could be you may have knocked off the ground strap from the engine to the frame while installing the headers. It sure sounds like a bad ground to me. Take a set of jumper cables, and clamp one end of one cable to the frame in a bare spot, and the other end to the engine. Doesn't matter if you use the black or red cable, just make sure you use the same at both ends.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member

that or check the main power distrobution bolt just to the left and up it will have 2 bolts under a red cap if it is there check the bolts they may not be tight or so corodid that there not makeing a connection that is what happened to me

Old 11-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Overdrive Member

i tried the jumper cable thing and it didnt do anything to my benefit, the grounds are fine from the battery, i didnt touch then and i dont think they are near the headers at all, i shall check the other wires and try cleaning them off and seeing that changes anything

Old 11-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Does your starter solenoid have two small studs in addition to the main one, or just one? If two, are you sure you have the "ignition" wire hooked to the correct one?

Old 11-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Overdrive Member

yeah the starter just has 2 and each wire is a different size so its hard to not put them on the right one, but im going to take it back and have them test it again, it has to be the starter, just pisses me off cause this is the 3rd! time ive had to take it back

Old 11-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Depending on how much working room you have, you can either use your jumper cables again, and connect the large wire on the starter to the small one. Or you can touch the two terminals together with a screwdriver. If she cranks over, you have a wiring problem. If not, it's the starter, the battery, or the battery cable to the starter that's the problem.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Overdrive Member

well i just tested the battery and its at 12.9 v so thats not the issue, and there is definately power going to the starter...

a friend of mine said he has a feeling the bcm has gone bad

Old 12-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Still Having Starting issues *Updated* but still need help

ok UPDATE, i have gotten the car to start by jumping the starter,ive replaced the ignition switch but still no start,and ive gotten wiring diagrams pretty much the same ones the GM Dealerships use

well on the diagrams the solenoid gets power from the positive cable on the battery, thats what is one of the things that triggers it

and then the ignition switch gives power to the starter enable relay(wherever that is), also there is a yellow wire connected to the crank fuse which also gives power to the starter enable relay

another thing i noticed before when i told you the radio would cut out when i attempt to start it with the door open there is a box to the right of the accelerator pedal that i would hear click almost like a relay, im not sure what that is either [/align]

Old 12-15-2008, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Still Having Starting issues *Updated* but still need help

My radio turns off if you open the door and its not running Im pretty sure thats just a feature so your battery dosent die but dont quote me on that cause i have an aftermarket radio

Quick Reply: Still Having Starting issues