Still Digging on my 95 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 04:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Still Digging on my 95 Z28

I'm still holding out hope that I don't have a blown head gasket. My head is hurting from all the forums/videos I've watched. I've tried to use a block tester on this thing but I dont think I'm getting enough time to gather gassses before it starts puking anitfreeze out of the radiator neck. Can you test from the resevoir? Should the coolant in the resevoir tank eventually be warm? mine stays cold.

Is it normal for these to puke so quickly? and I'm getting a lot of pressure in the upper hose shouldn't the rad cap (replaced) let loose before it builds to much pressure?
Last question I have an issue with fans only coming on when the A/C is turned on I've read shoebox from top to bottom and guessing there is issue between ECS and PCM thou I measured the wire at the ECS at the water pump and got +5v. The car starts running hot then when I turn the A/C on it goes to normal, I let it run 15-20 minutes with no overheating. If it was a head gasket wouldn't it eventually start running hot?
I'm not noticing any oil in the antifreeze and no antifreeze in the oil. The car has a small amount of white smoke coming from pipe, but no sweet smell/taste.
Replaced: All 3 relays, 2 Thermostats, Water pump, Radiator, Coolant resevoir

Old 11-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Droid

Have you done a compression test? Coolant expands when heated and if you fill the radiator to the top and leave the cap off it wont take long for it to overflow.
Shrt the two wires going back from the ECS and PCM. If the fans now run, it indicates the ECS is bad.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Cool Thanks

Originally Posted by z28pete
Have you done a compression test? Coolant expands when heated and if you fill the radiator to the top and leave the cap off it wont take long for it to overflow.
Shrt the two wires going back from the ECS and PCM. If the fans now run, it indicates the ECS is bad.

Cool, I'll give that a shot. Compression check is next on my list, just seems like its going to be a POA. Has anyone ever tried hooking an air hose to the compression test hose and blown air in looking for antifreeze coming out?

Old 11-07-2011, 06:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Shorted it out, nothing.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:08 PM
2nd Gear member

How would the coolant in the overflow stay cold? Once the temps get up the coolant "overflows" into that tank, which is why the dipstick has labels for hot and cold levels. Have you flushed out the system at all and made sure you don't have any blockage? If you had a leak and are getting smoke then you could also be able to look at your plugs and see if they're washed from the coolant...

Old 11-07-2011, 08:41 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yes you can put air in the cylinder its called a leak down test.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by JGuy07
How would the coolant in the overflow stay cold? Once the temps get up the coolant "overflows" into that tank, which is why the dipstick has labels for hot and cold levels. Have you flushed out the system at all and made sure you don't have any blockage? If you had a leak and are getting smoke then you could also be able to look at your plugs and see if they're washed from the coolant...
Yeah I was confused on the overflow staying cold. I flushed it myself but think I may need to have it professionally done. I replaced the the pipe in the overflow tank with some brake line that I bent to match (Appears that part # has been discontinued) when I replaced the overflow tank. Guess I could pull the tube out and see if it's moving fluid when warm. Wonder if that's the cause of the excess pressure.