Stainless 304 vs Aluminized Mild Steel

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:00 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Stainless 304 vs Aluminized Mild Steel

Alright, so since I've finished my Mustang (more or less...should be done tomorrow morning), I'm probably going to get my exhaust done before the month is over (hopefully).

I've ordered the TSP 1 7/8 stainless headers because I didn't want them rusting out and wanted them lasting for the life of the car (and supporting lots of power if I decide to mod heavily later down the line). I've also ordered a pair of these as I have to pass at least visual emissions (will be getting codes tuned out). I thought about going the Y Pipe route for cost, considering I already have a Borla catback. Well, I have decided I want true duals, specifically an H pipe over the axle with Borla mufflers and probably 4" tips like I have currently. I want the best clearance I can get and the rawest sound I can.

I can probably install the headers myself, but I'll have to run about an hour to the exhaust shop to get the system fabbed up. I got a quote for around 2k for the exhaust in 304 Stainless Steel form, or 1k for Minimized Mild Steel from the shop I'm thinking of going with. That is tucked over the axle, mandrel bent, not including hardware (mufflers and tips I'm assuming). I can't decide whether I want stainless or mild. I live in NC, so it isn't a snowy climate, although it does get cold, they rarely salt/sand the roads or anything like that. I think the mild will last long enough for me, but again, not sure...need opinions and pros and cons of both. Can't decide..leaning towards mild because of cost but stainless seems almost worth it.

Pics of parts so far: (Nice rug, eh? )

Old 10-11-2011, 11:02 PM
2nd Gear member

Nobody? I know that stainless is better, just wondering if it makes sense given my location and plans.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:03 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

This is total up to you and your budget. 304 should be a life time exhaust, Factory grade coated tube is 10 years normal use. Weather the 304 is worth it depends on what your plans are. You plan on keeping it the rest of your life it is worth it. You plan on upgrading to a Vet or a Mini Van in the next 5 years you are not going to get an extra $1000 because of the exhaust.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:18 AM
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=Guitar;577030

I've ordered the TSP 1 7/8 stainless headers because I didn't want them rusting out and wanted them lasting for the life of the car (and supporting lots of power if I decide to mod heavily later down the line).

I want the best clearance I can get and the rawest sound I can.

[/QUOTE]

question and a comment

how do stainless headers support more power than even uncoated headers?

if you are looking for that loping sound then no exhaust will give you that, you need to change your cam

Old 10-12-2011, 09:09 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
question and a comment

how do stainless headers support more power than even uncoated headers?

if you are looking for that loping sound then no exhaust will give you that, you need to change your cam
Where did I say stainless supported more power...?

1 7/8 supports more than 3/4.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Overdrive Member
Ya lost me on the Mustang comment.

I won't put any exhaust pipes on my Camaros that are not stainless, you are just wasting your money, IMHO. I have seen how long the alternative lasts, and I now go for longevity.

I have long been debating if I should get the 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 LTs and how much more modifying I will do besides external bolt-ons. I just don't know how deep down the rabbit hole I want to go -- If I did, headers would already be installed.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 10-12-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Ya lost me on the Mustang comment.

I won't put any exhaust pipes on my Camaros that are not stainless, you are just wasting your money, IMHO. I have seen how long the alternative lasts, and I now go for longevity.

I have long been debating if I should get the 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 LTs and how much more modifying I will do besides external bolt-ons. I just don't know how deep down the rabbit hole I want to go -- If I did, headers would already be installed.

stainless and ceramic are always the way to go I agree with you bro definitly worth the extra money

Old 10-12-2011, 05:10 PM
2nd Gear member

Worth an extra grand though? And that isn't counting mufflers or tips...if I went stainless I'd be about $3k into the exhaust alone.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:29 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You know you will have to relocate your panhard to run true duals over the axle right?
UMI 2024 UMI 1982-02 Camaro Panhard Bar Relocation Kit V8 - 2024, UMI Panhard Rod

Old 10-12-2011, 08:42 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Guitar

I've ordered the TSP 1 7/8 stainless headers because I didn't want them rusting out and wanted them lasting for the life of the car (and supporting lots of power

right there is where you mentioned it. Perhaps it's how you phrased it but it reads that you want stainless to support lots of power.

Quick Reply: Stainless 304 vs Aluminized Mild Steel