squeals when I turn left

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 09:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default squeals when I turn left

I've only owned this car for several weeks now. 97 Z28 convertible with the V8 engine. I noticed today that when I turn left I get a squealing noise. It sounds like the brake wear indicator sound but I'm not sure. I also thought I could smell something hot.(it's a convertible so I smell all kinds of things sometimes that are not from my car). Any thoughts on where I should look? Front brakes? Wheel bearings? Appreciate any help.
Thanks!
Jeff

Last edited by Tipsy; 07-27-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:50 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check brakes and if it sounds like tire squeel check toe out on front wheels.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes

It's definitely not a tire squeal sound. I'm gonna check out some things this weekend. Thought maybe a rotor was out of round and that was why it was only when I turned left. We'll see.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:12 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Rotor out of flat can make the noise but you should have a vibration when braking and the sqeak should change or go away if you put a small amount of pressure on the brake petal.

Look real close at the tire for rubbing and try spraying a little oil into the sway bar bushing and see if it goes away.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Had the tires off for a look around. Tie rod ends are completely ruptured and shot. Probably original with 119,000 miles on it! Wondering if this would make that sound because brakes are just fine. Long way to go before wear indicator is even close to rotor. While I had the wheels off I noticed that the rotors seemed a bit firm when I spun them, like maybe new bearings are needed? Can anyone tell me where the bearings are? Do I need to replace the spindle assembly or are the bearings loose between the spindle and the rotor? I can't find any reference to the front bearings in Chilton or Haynes manuals.
Lot of questions but I know many of you have my answers as usual!
Thanks!

Old 10-11-2013, 06:40 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

it may very well be your tires, if your tie rod ends are bad enough the slop will allow one wheel to move to far and cause tire noise. tie rod end change can really make a difference in how she drives. yes you will need to change the hub to change the bearings, not very hard to do.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Checked it out some more today. Put the top up for a drive with my son and still makes the noise on left turns but now it's easier to locate. It's coming from the rear drivers side. Took off both rear wheels and brakes are great. I've never had posi before so I don't know how it should feel at the axles but it seems a bit loose? There is a little spring clip sticking out the back of the caliper, maybe that's what's making the noise, I think I'll have to take caliper off to get that back in where it should be. The more I drove it the more it sounded like a bad shock or maybe bushings at the control arms or sway bar. I'll try the oil on the sway bar that Gorn suggested and see if that stops it. Sure would be happy if that's all it is. Time for new shocks anyway so may do that soon, looks like original GM shocks on there with over 100,000 miles!

Old 10-13-2013, 01:09 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ahhh new shocks and youll think you got a new car. i recomend koni adjustables, spendy but man what a difference. bilstein makes a good one that works ok, have a look at strano performance site, sam knows 4th gens. his sway bars work great as well.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Upon further inspection and driving, squeal happens in the rear drivers side when turning left, and if I apply brakes as it begins to squeal the noise stops. It's definitely a sound that is consistent with some sort of rotational noise. I guess I'll take the caliper off and check it all out. Don't know where else to look? Silicone spray on all the rubber bushing areas did not help.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:13 AM
In the Staging Lanes

took apart the rear drivers side brakes and cleaned and greased them and reassembled them. helped a little bit. Can't figure this one out. Suppose I'm gonna have to redo the brakes completely even though they are nearly new pads?

Quick Reply: squeals when I turn left