Some help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 06:14 AM
Default Some help please

Hi ...

here is the deal .. I am looking for a Camaro right now ... But I want to know what to check in a 4 sale car
I am not that bad with cars but you know what thay say : ask somone who knows better always
I have used an IMPALA all my life and now it's time to chenge

so .... anyone ?

Old 11-09-2007, 09:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Some help please

What model years/generation are you looking for? V6, V8?

If you're looking for a V6 on purpose (like me. They get pretty good gas mileage) go for the 96+, they got the 3.8 (200 HP) instead of the 3.4 (3.4 was in 93-95 and 95 non-Cali cars. 95 California cars got the 3.8 3.4 has 160 HP, and gets worse mileage than the 3.8)

'98 was the first year for the very last body style for the 4th gen. '98 was also the first year for the LS1 V8 instead of the LT1 (IIRC, somebody can correct me if I'm wrong). It's my understanding that the LS1 is a bit more fuel effecient, but either are very stout engines.

Other than that information, the usual stuff applies, make sure they're not rustbuckets, make sure the transmission/engine is running well and that sort of thing. The 3.8 (or 3800) can occasionally have problems with the intake manifold gasket leaking. This will cause the car to consume coolant through the combustion chamber (burning it). Mine had that, but the place I bought the car from had a small warranty that caught it. No long term damage. It's supposedly due to the reaction of the gasket material and Dex-Cool. Other than that, the 3800 is just this side of bulletproof.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the info .. but in my country (saudi arabia) no one give a s*** about any muscle car with a V6
we only love the V8 because it's more powerful and the gas is kinda cheap here
and also no one likes an automatic sport car , it must be a manual gear (better for drag racing)
and again thank you

Old 11-11-2007, 10:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Sounds like you already know what you're looking for then... A V8 with a manual tranny. I would find a 98 and up so you get the LS1 and a 6 speed tranny.