So my battery is draining overnight....

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default So my battery is draining overnight....

I have a 2001 V6 Coupe. I purchased it used. It has the factory radio but I am not sure if the alarm (key-less entry) is factory. I went to NTB and purchased their model of an Optima battery. It has an eight year warranty. Then I had a new alternator installed. When I turn the car off the radio will continue to play for about 7 to 10 minutes unless I open the drivers door then it shuts off. Also...I hear the speakers hum a bit and then a small pop like a switch shutting off. So I wonder if something might be wrong there. Also...how can I tell if the alarm is factory or not? Any ideas?

Old 01-04-2008, 10:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: So my battery is draining overnight....

Oh yes...the alarm has a key-less entry and one of those remote trunk openers...could it be factory?

Old 01-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Overdrive Member

Does the horn honk twice when you push the lock button? The factory remote looks like this...

[/align][/align][/align]

Old 01-05-2008, 08:59 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Hi Stan....thanks so much for the pic...yes it is a factory alarm...at least my remote looks like the one you posted....I'm going to take it to an auto electrical place for diagnostic test this morning....I'll post the results for all to see.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:31 PM

Hi. I have an 01 V6. Your radio should stay on around 10 minutes after you turn the car off. Opening the door after turning the car off will also turn off the radio. (which is happening!)

Old 01-05-2008, 05:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hi Joe...

All of that is normal? Well then I have no idea what is going on. I took it to a place today that specializes in electrical systems and they said they could find nothing wrong but they want to keep it a couple of days to see if the battery drains on them. I'll tell you...If after all of this it turns out to be a lousy battery i will just ...well be a tad upset.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:14 PM

I used to have the problem, my brake light was staying on overnight, it took me forever to notice and by that time the alterrnator was messing up from it.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Common causes are Glove box light and under hood light. In most cars trunk light can be an issue also but not in Camaros. Does it drain the battery every night?If it takes a week to drain it could be tough to find. If it drains over a single night/every nightit should be easy to find.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

maybe do u have anytihng plugged into the cigarette lighter? For my birthday a couple years ago I got an ipod and the icargo which plugs into your cig lighter and plays the ipod through ur radio. One day i noticed my battery was dying and then I realized that I've had that thing plugged in for like 2 weeks.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:59 PM

Hello Mocha,

I am a GM tech and work on electrical systems. Sounds like you a have an excessive parasitic draw. If your vehicle drains overnight it is something big. Inspect you radio. Also i would check to see your interior lights or glove box light staying on. It is normal for certain things to stay on with key off before you open your door. That is called (rap) Random Accessory power. I would recomment to have someone do a parasitic draw test with a dmm. It is a pretty simple test. Good luck!

Quick Reply: So my battery is draining overnight....