Smog Failed Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:15 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default Smog Failed Help Please

So i just had my smog and i failed. The tech sailed it could be because i had my battery disconnected and it has not been driven much lately. I only put bout 20 miles on since removing the battery. How long do i need to drive to pass? I included my results just in case. Any input is great. Included is an awesomely Photoshopped pic.
Name:  Scan.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  87.6 KB

Old 03-08-2012, 08:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I never have to worry about emissions in NM but it seems stupid to fail it over a Light when the emissions pass, and thats kinda the important part.....

Old 03-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Your Check engine light is on? I was told it can take 40-50 miles and a half dozen starts and stops for everything to show up as working. I think its mostly the purge system that takes the time.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Why don't ya just reset the light before taking it in?

Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Here in IL, if your CEL is on they don't go any further with the test, it's an automatic fail. Your report is showing it's because of the CEL. So as Gorn asked, is the light on? If so, you need to scan the system to find out what the error is.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Did they check your car by using the OBD port, or did they run it on a Dyno? If it is a computer check via the OBD port, you can't just reset your check engine light or your car will come back with "Not Ready"

If it is a Dyno check, you should be able to reset your light and officially pass the test.

I would probably go to autozone and have them read your codes and see if they can reset the light. (sometimes they say they aren't allowed to) Since something triggered the error, it might be nice to know what it is.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Tech Droid

In OBDII cars the smog test relies on the MIL being off and the drive cycle completed successfully.The drive cycle is comprised of a bunch of tests that the car's computer completes as the car is being driven. This may take several days, depending on the number of start and run cycles. If all these tests have completed and passed the computer will state that the car is ready for smog inspection. If the MIL was lit and then forced off, the computer will show not ready until the drive cycles are completed and passed, if the drive cycles are not completed the inspection will fail.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

The light is off should have stated that my bad. The status is not ready that why I failed.I have a scanner that I let friend loan and he is dodging my calls. I just wanted to know any tips on completing the test fast.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I think Pete pretty much covered it. Your car needs to go through a number of start/drive/shut off cycles after clearing the light before the system will ready itself. Don't know what that magic number is though. Are you at the deadline date for testing?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yea today is it.I just got my scanner back but it still reads not ready. I guess I'm paying late fees.

Quick Reply: Smog Failed Help Please