Slippery when WET!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Default Slippery when WET!!!

Hey folks I just thought I'd share a very shocking experience I had today. I have a 2001 Camaro v6 and I was making a left hand turn at a light from a stop. I wasn't going very fast, however I found my car doing a complete 180 and in the low lying median.It seemsthat while making the turn the back end of the car continued turning and spun me around. I thought that I was going to die, I was using cautionbut then again the road was WET. I thought I share this so that people will use caution with these RWD cars in wet conditions. Coming from FWD cars, this car has really thrown me some curve *****.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Slippery when WET!!!

You were obviously going way too fast. I remember one winter I had to putt around in a 83 Trans Am and other than the fact it took me two hours to get above 20 miles per hour and Icouldn't drive up hills mostof the timeI didn't have any serious control issues.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:58 PM

I guess it was just a bad combination, I'm still boggled becuaseI was behind 3 cars when we got the green arrow to make the left turn.They all made it through the light fine, and I've taken the same light everyday for 4 months with no problem. Tommorrow Im going to stop by a mechanics shop to make sure that I didn't do any damage, I hit the median pretty darn hard.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:35 AM
4th Gear Member

i did a 270 with my dads truck few weeks back, i wasnt fooling with it either, let off brake and it alrdy started spinning, went round corner going 15-ish and back end just slipped around, and did a 270, he has a ram hemi anbd i was in 2wd

Old 06-07-2007, 02:01 PM
Overdrive Member

Make sure your tires are ok too, the balder the tires are, the more likely you are to hydroplane, and if you start hydroplaning, you may as well be driving on a sheet of ice. You just have to be careful and drive for conditions, that's all. My Camaro made it home in some of the worst streets I've ever seen here in Colorado, I got home, but it was a slow and a bit frightening, but it'll make it, you just have to be very careful and pay attention to everything.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't knock rear wheel drive.....

If your drive wheels in a FWD lost traction you would have lost steering control, whereas with a RWD you can usually power out of a slide if you feel it coming or can catch the slide in time

I actually prefer driving rear wheel drive as opposed to FWD in bad conditions....I can cause a slide to get out of a hairy situation. I had an 83 TA that was better then my sister's FWD taurus in the snow

Just my $0.02

Old 06-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Tech Droid

Welcome to the joys of rear wheel drive. Once you get used to it you'll like it. Go practice in a wet parking lot. You need some good all weather tires. Look for the ones with the best wet traction. Your v6 should have no traction problems in dry roads, so don't bother with summer only tires.