Sinse everybody likes picutres...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 10:06 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Sinse everybody likes picutres...

Even though ive been on this website for a few months, and most of you probably know my plans, im write up my project anyway. I got a 96 Y87 with no engine. however when i bought it, it came with a hydraulically controlled 700r4 from a 3rd gen IROC-Z. i also obtained the wheels from said Iroc for my 4th gen. The offset is amazing and they stick way out on my 96!!! i love em.. but anyway, heres some photographs of my progress.
Im currently 'stationed' (aka living) in Blairsville PA, attending WyoTech for automotive technology and High performance powertrains. It sucks here. the locations is all mountains and nothing to do except go to the Wal*mart. WyoTech is nothing like you see in the promotional videos. There is 5,690,411 strict rules. for example, you must be clean shaven every day, no cell phone usage, and if you miss more than 25 hours of class, you get suspended for 6 months. thats just a taste of the gay rules!!!
Anyway, the reason im telling you that, is because i will be making no progress on my camaro until i return home next spring. Heres what i got-

^thats my buddy and i dropping the 3.8 prior to me buying it

^a view of my cluttered garage

^anothere

^prepping, washing and/or degreasing the nasty engine bay

^the IROC wheels i 're-manufactured'

^theres what it looked like after 3 hours of wire wheel... before primer & paint

^after!! also the plate i made to block off the heater core/blower box

^the interior.. getting 'race ready' gauges lol Grant steering wheel soon to come in place of the ugly stock one

^Welcome to the Cleveland Pulla Part. Need i say more?

^That is what mine will hopefully look like!!!! with the exeption of the fancy AN fittings and othre various high-dollar parts

I still dont know if im going to use motor mount plates, or custom fab some solid regular mounts. The only problem im going to have with plates is somehow making a mid-plate that goes between the trans and block. its a nightmare getting into that area....

For my exhaust im thinking long tube headers, immediately to flowmaster 40's, and the shoot the pipes right out the side in front of the rear wheels.

what ya'll think?

Old 10-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

very cool cant wait for the build thread

Old 10-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Did that school use to be Vale Tec. I graduated from Vale tec in 86 I use to drive from Johnstown every day. Man that moutain was a ***** in the winter.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

I have not heard of one person who actually liked wyotech. I plan on attending UTI but i have both schools about 5mins away where i live.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:06 PM
4th Gear Member

Cool pics. Good luck in school. Sounds like "basic training" rules for the military. But hey, hopefully, it will be worth it.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:00 PM

So you would not recomend Wyotech to a friend? ha The scouting lady came to my shop class and now she wont stop calling me.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:29 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Matt.
So you would not recomend Wyotech to a friend? ha The scouting lady came to my shop class and now she wont stop calling me.
Eh, once i get through the program i should have a better outlook. But, by NO means is the school like what you see on the promotional videos. its 95% different. tons of military like rules and theres 60 kids in my class. WAY to many people in one classroom/shop. plus tuition is in the high $20k range.
the campus managed apartments suck also. its around $400/mo and they also have extremely strict rules. Sinse Blairsville PA is so small, probably 20-25% of the population is Wyotech students. Car crazy people= crazy drivers. crazy drivers meaning all the locals hate you.
so in conclusion, wyotech PA blows, but it does look good on a resume

Old 10-02-2010, 09:07 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Most trade schools do not live up the hype. Reality is the school gets you in the door your first day of real training will be first day on the job. We had a drivability teacher, I thought he knew everything. When I look back at it some of the issues we had during our "open shop time" it would have taken me minutes to figure out stuff he spent hours on.

If Wyo is anything like Vale tec was it will take you about two years of working in a garage full time before you will be able to say "I am mechanic" and not worry that the old guy two stalls down is going to burst out laughing.

Don't feel too bad about it. There will be thousands of engineering students graduating next year thinking they know everything. LOL they got a good 5 years before they are not a joke.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:16 PM

Good to know! So what school would you recomend to go to? I was thinking I might just go to a local college(Metro is close to me and I know a teacher who I previously worked with).

Old 10-03-2010, 08:12 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I only know two trade schools and it looks like one of them sold out . Try this, Figure out where you want to work ( dealership, Tranny place, Hot rod shop, whatever) and give them a call. Ask them what they like to see on a resume.

Quick Reply: Sinse everybody likes picutres...