Should i try to stick it out or get my stang back?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:08 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Should i try to stick it out or get my stang back?

i traded my stang for this camaro at a dealer and so far been having some problems, however yesterday i found a guy rebuilding an engine in my neighbord hood and he looked at my car and helped some.

heres the issue that i am having, it struggles to start

i replaced alternator and battery, and he suspected te fuel pressure regulator is bad, and he replaced it but still the problem persists.

so its probably the fuel pump like camaro 69 suspected? because the guy said he can hear my fuel pump just fine and it doesnt seem to go bad, he was 99% sure it was the fuel pressure regulator. what else could it be?

i have an appointment at the shop at 1pm today, otherwise thinking of trying to go back to the dealer and accepting my losses and just getting my stang back. the camaro runs and drives great but starting is hell.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes

do fuel pressure regulators need some time to break in? i installed the new one last night then just left it and its not working, will it work if i drive it a bit this morning and build up the vaccuum pressure for the regulator? also stil getting the rich/lean whatever smell

going to take it to the dealer service today he said he will fix it...its an official chevy dealer so they should be able to fix it right?

i drove it around, let it sit anda gain its struggling tos tart.... !!!

Last edited by Camaro S; 05-21-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro S
do fuel pressure regulators need some time to break in?
No they do not
Originally Posted by Camaro S
going to take it to the dealer service today he said he will fix it...its an official chevy dealer so they should be able to fix it right?
Dealerships will have good and bad techs but they should have any and all test equipment needed to figure out what is going on. Your problems sounds like it would be very easy to figure out for a real mechanic. Whenever you buy a car from a Chevy dealer and you have issues right away take it back. Unless you signed a paper that said you are accepting the car "as is" it should be free from mechanical defect at the time of sale. A week or two later you are going to have a tuff time without any type of a warranty. The next day the dealership will have a tuff time saying the issue did not exist 24 hours ago.

Last edited by Gorn; 05-21-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

okay i just got back from the dealer and luckily i have some warranty on the car and they will fix it, i watched as like 5 chevy mechanics did a million tests and they say my fuel pump is bad and they gona fix it be ready wednesday or thursday.

should i remind them to check relay and electrical connections ? or they probably know what could be the problem right? i mean official chevy dealer mechanics, they know about fuel pressure regulators and fuel pumps and relays right?

Old 05-21-2013, 03:24 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You should not need to remind a real mechanic anything. In fact you will most likely annoy them.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Overdrive Member

OK do me a favor, cycle the key from on to off 3 or 4 times with out cranking, holding the key to the on position for about 2 or 3 seconds. Then try to start the engine. If it starts after that look at the fuel pump. I had an 01 Alero that did the same thing and it turned out to be a bad fuel pump. OH and while you are there get a new fuel filter as well. I also tried the FPR first as it will cause the same symptoms.

The rust you have looks fairly normal as those parts are usually bare steel/iron anyway.

Massey

Old 05-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Good thing you have the warranty, now you don't have to mess with that part yourself.
When you go to pick up the car, BEFORE you say ok and drive away, give it a test start and drive the car to make sure everything works like it's supposed to.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:45 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Warrany would have been nice to know before you replaced Battery and Alternator. It should all work out now.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:56 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

extended warranty does not cover battery or alt does it? i thought it was just drivetrain. depending on length and coverage of warranty you may have gotten a fair deal. they are not cheap with older cars.

Last edited by craby; 05-21-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah im glad i got the warranty, usually i see used cars "as is" this is the first time I had warranty on it.

Also btw, My mechanic buddy noticed that the wire that goes fromt he Engine to the body as a ground was just hanging there, so he hooked it up to the metal body to get a ground....damn u guys how many hidden problems are there lolol....but he said everything else looks okay and it runs great.

When i first got the car, i noticed a lot of play in the tensioner pulley and autozone recommended i replace it, however i got a new serpentine belt and the play went away but the pulley is prety rusted u can see it in my video at (2:33 in my original post of this thread), does it look loose and bad to u, shood i replace it?

Quick Reply: Should i try to stick it out or get my stang back?