should i get rid of my lowing springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Default should i get rid of my lowing springs?

i have a lowered 1998 z28 that looks so freakn sweet thats it lowered. i do know that it effects the get up and go. the *launch* i was thinking of going back to factory springs. my dads 99 trans am seems to jump up a little more then mine when i drive it. i dont take the car to the track or anything. but i do like to mess around sometimes. wanted to know if i should keep the cool look. or go for the performance? heres a pic of it

http://i54.tinypic.com/314ecxs.jpg

Old 04-04-2011, 11:13 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It seems like that factory springs are making the car launch better because they aren't as stiff. Instead of the car staying in position, it squats. That's a bad thing. The lowering springs are actually stopping the car from squatting on take off. It just seems like the factory springs are getting a better launch. They're not. Keep the lowering springs. Race a car with factory springs if you want to find out for real lol

Old 04-04-2011, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks for the reply. can anyone else back him up on that one? looking for lots of opinions !

Old 04-04-2011, 11:35 PM
H2C
2nd Gear member

Its simple physics, If the stock springs are looser then the back end will lower the front end will pull up and it feels more powerful, however your springs help transmit power to the ground and would in theory give you a harder launch ability

Old 04-04-2011, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member

If your not racing and trying to launch the car, then there probably isn't a reason to switch back to the stock springs. I prefer my eibach's and if you springs are eibachs, then they are progressive and have some initial give for ride quality. If you want to maximize holeshot...Springs are only part of the equation...shocks/struts play a large part, along with other suspension parts like the torque arm and lower arms. You will have a lower center of gravity with the aftermarket springs which does give better overall handling.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:52 AM
2nd Gear member

If you do is be willing to buy yours (: and trade you my tears as they are brand new

Old 04-05-2011, 07:15 AM
3rd Gear Member

wow, thats low, looks sweeeettttt though dude.

I took out my eibach rear cause of scraping issues with my BMW rims and bottoming out on crap roads in UK

With regards to launch i'd think the harder springs mean less power wasted in sagging the springs, means tires sping easier sometimes though so could hurt launch if ya light em up. leave them though, they look cools

Old 04-05-2011, 06:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Maudyz28,

Did you try an adjustable panhard bar when you were scraping? I was hitting on the passenger rear with my eibach's because the stock panhard bar wasn't the right length. It took a couple shots to get mine just right, but now I can roll 19's in the back with sportlines and it doesn't rub the right rear anymore.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:53 PM
3rd Gear Member

Hard springs are good for auto cross. Soft springs are great for drag racing. If you want to drag race put stock springs in but then you'll want a quick rebound shock. If your just street driving and the occasional drag then keep the lowering springs. You'll have alot better handling with them in. Take it auto cross racing and you'll see the difference between the two. One will roll alot and the other will be alot more stable.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:07 PM
2nd Gear member

If you want to have a setup strictly for drag, Strano sells springs that are made for drag racing, and like 3800camaro said, you get some quick rebound shocks. You want it to squat so you get a good weight transfer for launch but straighten out immediately once you get going.

Strano Performance Parts - Part Details

Quick Reply: should i get rid of my lowing springs?