Service Engine Soon light is staying on and car is bogging out HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Default Service Engine Soon light is staying on and car is bogging out HELP!!!

I have 98 M6 SS Camaro no heavy mods

For the last year the car has been throwing the SES light on and off and while the SES light is on the car runs a little rough and starts bogging really bad. Even when I try toreally get on the gas the car wont get up. I was originally told it was my O2 sensors so I went to summit and bought all new NGK O2 sensors for my car and installed them but not even 600 miles later the SES light came back on and I had to just ignore it because I was at school. Now I am on Winter break and trying to fix the problem but I am clueless as to what I should do next.
The codes I am getting are; P0131, P0137, P0151, P0157, P1133, P1153, P1258, P1546
I believe the P1258 Light came on because my thermo was sticking but I just recently replaced that and have not had the engine really heat up on me since, how ever I have only driven the car twice since then because I am trying to figure what else I need to do to get the car running right again. I really have no idea what I should do next and need help badly!

I was told that the injectors could be what iscausing the O2 sensors to work incorrectly if that is true what kind of injectors should I get? and what size? brand? any idea on a good website to buy them?

Please any advice would be greatly apreciated I have to have this car running by the 19th because I have to drive back to Arizona for school on the 19th and being in the desert is hard enough on a car with out having the SES light on.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Service Engine Soon light is staying on and car is bogging out HELP!!!

Can you tell if the exhaust is flowing properly? My thoughts are the cat/s are possibly plugged. Are the injectors stock? If they are, I highly doubt they are the problem. The 1546 code has something to do with the A/C.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Service Engine Soon light is staying on and car is bogging out HELP!!!

All codes, except 1258 cooling fan and 1546 AC clutch, point to a lean condition and lazy O2 sensors. Being that it is uncommon for all O2 sensors to go bad at one time you may want to look at the fuel pressure being low and resulting in a lean condition. Also, as 02StanGT indicated, clogged cats will confuse the O2 sensors, although if this was the case the downstram sensors should be complaining about the cat.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:54 AM

I thought that if it was a plugged cat it would only send of the codes for the rear O2 sensors. So can the cat cause all 4 O2 Sensors to come up?

Old 01-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Tech Droid

Not necessarily, the downstream sensor looks at the quality of the exhaust, not the quantity. However, before changing cats,get a backpressure test done, just to be sure.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:18 PM

tested the cats they are good, I am starting to think that I got a bad batch of O2 Sensors. Is it normal to clear off all codes and the car drive perfectly fine untill I get on the gas hard then the codes come up? and sometimes the codes arn't the same that come up. I have untill this comming weekend to fix the car otherwise I have to head back to school with a broken car. I amalso thinking maybemy ecu is the cause for these problems is there away for me to test that?
also code 1416 just came up for the first time

Old 01-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Tech Droid

The PCM ignores the O2 sensors at WOT. Try unplugging the MAF & see if it makes a difference.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:29 PM

I already tried that and cleaned out the MAF while it was out. The weird thing about all this is the car works perfectly fine when ever the SES light is off, is that normal? or should it still show some signs that somthing is wrong even when the lights off?

Old 01-11-2009, 07:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I know this is a lettle off topic but since it may help him after he thinks he may have remadied the problem how do you reset the computer so that the SES light will shut off like on other cars you detach the battery for like 10 min and I tried that on my maro and it didnt work.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: bayboyss

I already tried that and cleaned out the MAF while it was out. The weird thing about all this is the car works perfectly fine when ever the SES light is off, is that normal? or should it still show some signs that somthing is wrong even when the lights off?
Pete doesn't mean for you to pull the MAF and clean it, what he's saying is you should unplug the connector on the MAF (leave it installed though) and see how the car runs with the MAF sensor unplugged. This causes the car to run in Open Loop mode where it utilizes the MAP sensor and preset fuel tables to determine the mixture instead of the MAF/O2 sensors. You don't want to run you car like this all the time because they run the MAP tables very rich, but it's a good test to see if it's a sensor related or fuel delivery related problem.

Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon light is staying on and car is bogging out HELP!!!