Sell it or Fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:46 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Do your reach, The parts for these motor are not cheap. The machine shop work alone on the motor will be over a $1000. You have another $1000 in Cam/Lifters/Rockers. Like I said with you doing all the work to do the rebuild will cost you between 3-4K. If you are going stock it will be cheaper to get a remaned short block then to try to get a high mile motor that has had contamination back to original specs.

you are assuming the cam is bad as are the rockers? Or are you upgrading?

My pricing is based upon a machine shop that I now use (thanks to a buddy ). A walk in would be more like $3k with that shop.

at 140k, it's beyond honing. Also, with antifreeze contamination it really should be torn down. That is if you want to do it right. I was simply tossing numbers that I would offer if he tried to sell it.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I actually found a used Lt1 with 70k I think I might just drop that one in. The guy wants $800 for it. Do yall think thats a good deal? It has new water pump, belt, thermostat, plugs, wires, optispark, distributor, all new gaskets, new rear main seal and new starter. plus computer and harness.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
you are assuming the cam is bad as are the rockers? Or are you upgrading?
Anytime you have coolant in the oil anything with a wear surface should be replaces, ground or polished. The antifreeze breaks down the babbit off the bearings and this lead like material gets into everything. Things like lifters and rockers are almost impossible to get clean. They might work but there is no way to be sure for how long. Cranks can be polished but chances are the crank is already out of round and will need ground.

Back in the day we had to repair motors that where under warranty. There was only two thing that would get you a new motor. A motor blown with block damage or a motor with antifreeze in the oil and ANY internal noise. GM concidered it not worth fixing.

Originally Posted by josh3408
Thanks for the replies guys. I actually found a used Lt1 with 70k I think I might just drop that one in. The guy wants $800 for it. Do yall think thats a good deal? It has new water pump, belt, thermostat, plugs, wires, optispark, distributor, all new gaskets, new rear main seal and new starter. plus computer and harness.
$800 is a good price for a motor with 70K. Your going to want to use your computer but you could sell the PCM harness can get some of your money left. You will want to look at which Opti he used. If its a cheap knock off you may want to replace it but that can be done later. Keep your old Opti as a backup. You want to research the engine remove process. It is not like older cars.

Last edited by Gorn; 12-19-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:17 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by josh3408
sounds like a pretty good deal
what year? i may be interested in buying.

Last edited by craby; 12-19-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:08 PM

Its a 96 just like mine. Im kind of curious why its priced so good. It's a complete engine. It sounds legit but you never know, without properly being able to test it there could be a problem with it that I dont know about.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It is a good price but not so amazing it is not believable. I have been searching for a nice used LT1. There are 2 within 10 miles of me. One has 72K on it the other has 77K. From a yard with a 90 day warranty they are $1000 ea. So without a warranty it is a good price.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:01 PM

I went and checked out the motor, It looks like its in decent condition. Theres alot of new parts on it. Im still wondering if I should buy it, Im just scared of buying it and then having problems with that motor too. It seems like it has been sitting for a little while. Is there any way that I could somehow check to see if it's still in good working condition without it being in a car. What do yall think?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

is the guy willing to guarantee that it will run properly. should be able to do a compression test on it. hook a battery to the starter, take all the plugs out and go at it.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 PM

I was thinking about doing that, Im not sure if the guy would be alright with that but it's worth a try. Is there anything else that I should check or look for?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Josh, you just answered your own question. Or were you really just wanting us to talk you in to it? Sounds like you can do it cheaper than most of us can and have access to some great resources. Given your situation, I say it's a no brainer.

Quick Reply: Sell it or Fix it?