Sell it or Fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Default Sell it or Fix it?

I have a 96 camaro ss with a blown head gasket. Its been overheated and there is water in the oil etc. I bought it for $3000 and I was wondering if I should sell it and save up to buy another one or go ahead and fix it. What do yall think I should do? I love this car and I want to fix it and keep it but Im not sure which is a better Idea.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:50 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by josh3408
I have a 96 camaro ss with a blown head gasket. Its been overheated and there is water in the oil etc. I bought it for $3000 and I was wondering if I should sell it and save up to buy another one or go ahead and fix it. What do yall think I should do? I love this car and I want to fix it and keep it but Im not sure which is a better Idea.
how is the interior? How is the exterior/paint/clear coat?

how bald are the tires?

If it is a 7 out of 10 or better, I'd offer you $1,000 because it's just a roller. If the seats are ripped, the rug tired, the paint faded etc etc, you're flirting with sub $1,000 and probably close to $500- $700 and it's probably worth more parted out.

now run with that info and decide what you'd do.

why, I'd assume the LT1 has never been rebuilt. So, if the heads need to come off, I'd go all in and refresh the engine. Why slap on a set of head gaskets into a high mileage engine or one that has been compromised?

Do the math, if it were me as a buyer, I'd be looking at a $2,000 rebuild and then a $1000 tranny rebuild by a local guy (updated parts too) so I'd have to toss in $3,000 plus my own labor just to get it back on the road. Why the tranny? If you've bene running a car with a bad head gasket, and didn't bother fixing it, then I'd have to assume that you beat the car. IF the tires/interior/exterior were also tired, I'd probably pass all together because it's not worth the investment needed.

Do you see the conclusion that I drew based upon the condition of the vehicle?

Old 12-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Location: Afghanistan for now, From Indiana, Stationed in Kentucky

well if you are mechanically inclined you can change the head gasket yourself. depending on teh side it will depend on the level of expertise it will take. the driver side is about an hour shorter than the passenger side. A new gasket will run you about 30.00 give or take and it will take between 2.5-4 hours. i know this doesnt help much but it will put thoughts in your head.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:11 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If it is a SS in decent condition it is worth fixing. If budget is an issue you should just get a low miles used motor. I doubt your going to rebuild a high miles motor with antifreeze containination for 2K. It would be more like 4K with you doing a lot of the work to do it right.

If it is an SS keep the old block and heads just in case.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:41 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you have a nice car josh, pick up a used motor with low miles. even a iron head one would work, just take the heads off yours and have them gone through. that way youll have new head gaskets as well.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

The thing is he is not doing the work himself so its gonna cost him a lot of $$$

Old 12-18-2010, 07:31 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

well bring it on over, ive got a used lt1 here to. lol. not really that hard to change the motor.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:36 PM

well the car has 140,000 miles on it. I plan on having it for a very long time, so I might as well just rebuild it. I work at a race car shop so its no problem doing it myself, and I know alot of mechanics that would probably do it for me at low cost if I decided not to do it myself. The car is in good condition besides the motor, interior is good, the car has never been wrecked. all in all I think it's a car worth fixing up. I was just wondering what everyone else thinks cause I don't want to waste my time and money if the car isnt worth fixing.

thanks for yall's input.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

Haha, no question, this car is worth getting back on the road. Judging by what you posted.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Do your reach, The parts for these motor are not cheap. The machine shop work alone on the motor will be over a $1000. You have another $1000 in Cam/Lifters/Rockers. Like I said with you doing all the work to do the rebuild will cost you between 3-4K. If you are going stock it will be cheaper to get a remaned short block then to try to get a high mile motor that has had contamination back to original specs.

Quick Reply: Sell it or Fix it?