rustoleum, duplicolor, or vht wheel paint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 12:49 PM
2nd Gear member
Old 04-21-2013, 12:53 PM
2nd Gear member

the hard part is actually finding this stuff in a store. I'm going to have to see if a manager can special order it, I would kind of like to use products from the same brand so they work together well. The only place I can find the stuff is online where shipping makes it twice as expensive as it would be if I could find it in the store.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Seems like you are doing a lot of work to avoid using a product that was designed to do exactly what your needing in a one coat application? You do know about Eastwood? They are a pretty respected name in the restoration world. I have used the eastwood stuff many times and I have used the Diamond coat on Aluminum I have polished and it works great. I did a holley carb 3 years ago for a friend it still looks like chrome. I used it after a failed attemp to clear powder coat it. Seems powder coat will not stick to highly polished aluminum either.

After I read how the product works it seem legit, its a clear primer that is not a paint that will allow paint to stick to it. I could not find any reviews on how well it works on polished aluminum. The weak point is going to be the paint unless it would work with a clear epoxy, if so then you have something.

Last edited by Gorn; 04-21-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:43 PM
2nd Gear member

nope, now is the first time i've heard of eastwood. I'll check them out, if they are as well respected as you say I would have no problem using their stuff.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Does Plasti-Dip come in a clear?
I'd go with either Duplicolor or VHT. But since the VHT is specified for wheels, I'd lean more in that direction. Know that the wheels won't have quite the same "polished" look once you clear them.

I was told it comes in any color you could think of, but not sure I havnt used it yet.. I've seen some wheels done in a few colors and they look great

Old 04-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Eastwood started in the 70's. I first heard of them in the mid 80's when I was taking body shop classes. The teacher told us if you get into classic restoration you will need to know how to restore stainless trim. (there was very few repops back then) He did not have time to teach us that sort of thing he then dropped a eastwood catalog on our desks and said don't forget these guys. They are one of the few who just do restoration support. Back then trim restoration and polish was their focus, now they do it all.

I do not think for a second Eastwood has a chemical engineer that came out with this stuff but they have been support polishing since the 70's, I am sure they know what works.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Eastwood started in the 70's. I first heard of them in the mid 80's when I was taking body shop classes. The teacher told us if you get into classic restoration you will need to know how to restore stainless trim. (there was very few repops back then) He did not have time to teach us that sort of thing he then dropped a eastwood catalog on our desks and said don't forget these guys. They are one of the few who just do restoration support. Back then trim restoration and polish was their focus, now they do it all.

I do not think for a second Eastwood has a chemical engineer that came out with this stuff but they have been support polishing since the 70's, I am sure they know what works.
it sounds like this stuff is what im looking for, it seem as though it will make the application a one step process like you said.