running problems please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:39 PM
Default running problems please help

My car has been doing this for a month or so now and i would liek to get to the bottom of this. When i seem to give my car some gas it seems to sputter for a but then will start to take off. Almost like my car begins to shake. But if i jsut drive slow and ease on my gas it is fine. (98 v6 3.8L camaro)

Old 03-25-2008, 11:51 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: running problems please help

when was the last tune up? A big cause of this is a dirty fuel filter, Or bad wires or spark plugs. Check your air filter as well... Also, your PCV ( positive crankcase valve ) should be changed. Lift your hood, facing the engine, it will be under a black 3 by 2 inch diamond shaped cover, upper right side, ( drivers side ) remove the two 10mm bolts, its a 3 dollar part, what this does is recycle the unused fuel into the engine and lets it get burned, if its plugged, ( every 15k) it will not let your motor cycle fuel properly and will cause this also...

Old 03-26-2008, 09:23 AM

thanks man i will try that today. But i no its not a tune up cause i just got one

Old 03-26-2008, 10:02 AM
2nd Gear member

A proper tune up consists of a fuel filter, spark plugs, air filter and inspection of plug wires. So if all that was done recently then its more than likely the PCV valve.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:11 AM
2nd Gear member

And even if its not the PCV, its gotta be changed anyways... Next step, will be wires...

Old 03-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: carguy_z28

when was the last tune up? A big cause of this is a dirty fuel filter, Or bad wires or spark plugs. Check your air filter as well... Also, your PCV ( positive crankcase valve ) should be changed. Lift your hood, facing the engine, it will be under a black 3 by 2 inch diamond shaped cover, upper right side, ( drivers side ) remove the two 10mm bolts, its a 3 dollar part, what this does is recycle the unused fuel into the engine and lets it get burned, if its plugged, ( every 15k) it will not let your motor cycle fuel properly and will cause this also...
A bit of misinformation here. For one, it's on the passenger side, but that doesn't matter cause I'm sure he'd find it anyways. Second, the PCV sucks off the crankcase, so where would it get unused fuel? PCV is used to remove blow-by gasses and oil vapors. If you have unused fuel in your crankcase, you've got bigger problems.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:59 AM
2nd Gear member

I only misspelled one word... No missinformation here, Its Positive Crankase Ventilation... Not valve...my bad... Second, Its not the FUEL itself... Its the Vapors FROM the fuel...everybody knows you dont "burn fuel" you "burn vapors" FROM the fuel...I just didnt go into complete textbook detail... Dont try to hate on me cause I proved you wrong in other posts... he knew what I meant... Ive been dealing with these cars day in and day out for years, but the best I can do is speculate on what his problem is seeing as I cant drive or hear his car from here... So instead of typing usless posts, why not come up with some good suggestions or ideas...

Old 03-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Overdrive Member

You already suggested the fuel filter, which was my guess. Where did I get proved wrong?

Old 03-26-2008, 11:41 AM
2nd Gear member

were you not the guy who posted a vidio of a 3.4 with a tubo setup and stock internals? Where at the end of the clip he moved to the front of the car and zoomed in and seen chunks of metal lying on the ground?

Old 03-26-2008, 11:49 AM
2nd Gear member

I just looked at the post again and made it full screen and paused that part... There was a broken line and oil all over the ground... no metal chunks...

Quick Reply: running problems please help