Rumble/Vibration at cruise, REALLY ANNOYING, please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Rumble/Vibration at cruise, REALLY ANNOYING, please help

I would make sure your drive shaft is correctly mounted. I've never dabbled with the drive shaft on my Camaro, but I know that on my Subaru the drive shaft and the differential both have a marking indicating a point of balance and they're supposed to be a minimum of 125 deg different or as close to 180 as you can get them.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I know we all think of a bent axle as the tire wobbeling all over the place but if it bentjust a little but greater then the bear clearance allows for it would give the same syptom as a bad bearing. I assume your drive shaft is the one pc design? If you calculation are correct you are talking output shaft of the tranmission, yoke, u-joint, drive shaft, u-joint, rear yokean pinion.

Cheap test might just be to get a drive shaft assembly from a yard. and see if it changes. Do you remember if the drive shaft place you took mentioned the phasing?It is over looked a lot and any car that was hit would be suspect.

I like your idea of using sound and a PC. I am goingto look into that.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, the driveshaft was replaced with a 1-piece, although the original was a 2-piece. This detail alone made me suspicious (why would the factory have called for a 2-piece if there wasn't some benefit?) The driveshaft place didn't mention phasing. 95slvrZ28, is this what you are referring to?

I was actually planning on trying just that assuming the Camaros at pull-a-part still have driveshafts. can't beat $12.01 for a driveshaft, tho.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:10 AM
Overdrive Member

Both the drive shaft and the differential have a side that is slightly heavier. If those two sides are offset you're going to come out with even balance, if they're lined up you're not going to be balanced and thus you will have vibration. That said, if it only happens with respect to speed and not with respect to RPM this doesn't really make sense. Anything pertaining to the drive shaft is going to deal with RPM, not just speed. I'd listen to what the guys have to say about a bent axle if it only happens when you're at highway speeds.

^^Edit: Bold was me failing...sorry...

Old 11-19-2008, 05:50 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Anything pertaining to the drive shaft is going to deal with RPM, not just speed.
I am not sure I follow that? Drive shaft spins faster as the car goes faster not with engine RPMs

Old 11-19-2008, 07:29 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: Gorn

Anything pertaining to the drive shaft is going to deal with RPM, not just speed.
I am not sure I follow that? Drive shaft spins faster as the car goes faster not with engine RPMs
Agreed. The speed ratio between the driveshaft and axle is always the same. So the driveshaft turns faster only as the wheelsturn faster (faster vehicle speed). RPM differences between the engine and driveshaft are affected by the trans gearing.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

How involved is it to change out the trans slip joint and/or the pinion bearing?

Old 11-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Overdrive Member

Ugh...sorry about that guys, I wasn't having the clearest night, had a big exam today (studying last night) so I was kinda brain-drained. Ignore me...[>:]

Old 11-19-2008, 10:58 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sorry...did you say something? How was that?

Old 11-19-2008, 11:02 PM
Overdrive Member

Pretty decent, but I think you could probably do better

Quick Reply: Rumble/Vibration at cruise, REALLY ANNOYING, please help