Rough Idle, High RPM's and Dying while driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Default Rough Idle, High RPM's and Dying while driving

I have a 1995 Camaro 3.4

let me start with the beginning.

Drove it to work one day, about an hour or so from where i live on the highway about 65-70 MPH's the whole way. Once i got closer to the office and slowed down to exit the car began to sputter. I would accelerate and it would come back up but when i hit the first red light the car died. My mind told me it was the battery but all the lights were on, the stereo was on and when i restarted the car it started right up for a few seconds then died again.

After the 4th attempt it started up and stayed on and i was able to drive it to the office parking lot where i parked it and let it idle for a few minutes. idled normal. i shut it down and started right up no problem.

drove it home had no problems but this time i kept it 45-50 as i took back roads home.

never drove it back to work just around town for the next couple of weeks but now it's doing that at low speeds 35-40 mph. The last time this happened was wednesday and when i got it to start back up the RPM's where high about 2000, when i parked it and let it idle they went up to 2500. I parked it wednesday afternoon didn't start it up til today (friday). now it starts rough and when i press the acclerator down the car starts to die.

I'm not a car guy and i dont pretend to be. (i know that makes my man card value go down lol) so i'm not even sure where to start looking.

i'm hoping you all can help me. any advice is appreciated.

let me add:

I recently replaced the Plugs and Wires (yes i've checked them to make sure they were connected properly)
Changed the Oil
and Flushed the Coolant.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

any check engine light... quadruple check the wires and make sure there on tight (take a look under the hood at night with the engine running in case theres any shorts) pull the plugs and take a look at them they should not be black but also not clean. are you sure your running the right plug??? are the coils original??? also get a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure

Old 11-04-2011, 11:50 PM

Thanks, I'll do that tomorrow morning and update with any changes if i have any.

any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:52 PM

I ended up taking it to a mechanic he found codes for a bad MAP sensor a Crank Sensor the Throttle position sensor.

I dont have the money to have him fix it (i almost didn't want to have him find the problem cuz he charged me 40 bucks lol)

so i'm going to get my hands greasy and get in there and do it myself. First things first...can anyone tell me where these are all located?

I just tried to go buy the Hayes repair manual they didn't have it. They didn't have the Chilton's either. (i dont understand how thats possible for an american car)

Old 11-06-2011, 03:00 PM
I Like to Party

Clean every nook and cranny thats connested to your throttle body, like the IAC (Idle Air Control Valve) located on the throttle body itself on the left side, the MAP( Connected to the stock air intake tubing and check and clean all the electrical connections

Old 11-07-2011, 11:01 AM

I just talked to the mechanic again to ask about the location of the crankshaft position sensor he said it's the 3 wire sensor underneath the engine block. (i found the other 2)

he also said that he wasnt getting an electrical current from the wire for the MAP sensor. Could that just be a bad plug? or am i going to have to replace the whole wire?

Old 11-07-2011, 11:32 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

has the car been scanned for codes? if so what codes came up? could be the wire is damaged at the plug or the plug itself is. look at the inside of the female end. i would recomend you test the fuel pressure and if not scanned, have it scanned for codes.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Can we assume the mechanic scanned and got codes? I would suspect a PCM or wiring issue. To have 3 of the main engines sensor fail all at once would be pretty weird. But having the 5v reference signal messed up to start with could cause any sensor set a code. Add in the fact you are saying that one of the sensors is not getting 5v ref voltage there could be no issues with the sensors themselves at all.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Check a wiring digram and see if they share a common hot or ground if so chances are you cand just repair the the ground or wire and not have to replace your sensors.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by craby
has the car been scanned for codes? if so what codes came up? could be the wire is damaged at the plug or the plug itself is. look at the inside of the female end. i would recomend you test the fuel pressure and if not scanned, have it scanned for codes.
i dont remember the codes just remember what the codes told me to check. MAP, TPS and Crankshaft position sensor

Originally Posted by Gorn
Can we assume the mechanic scanned and got codes? I would suspect a PCM or wiring issue. To have 3 of the main engines sensor fail all at once would be pretty weird. But having the 5v reference signal messed up to start with could cause any sensor set a code. Add in the fact you are saying that one of the sensors is not getting 5v ref voltage there could be no issues with the sensors themselves at all.
he plugged in the scanner and got the 3 codes. turns out my brother had already called him about the bad crankshaft position sensor so the TPS and MAP sensors are newer problems.

he showed me the scanner as he was testing it and it said that the voltage of the MAP was too low. then he used his voltage reader or whatever to see what the voltage was coming in from the wire and he wasnt getting a reading. which is when he told me that the wire for MAP could be bad and it could cost me 150 to 300 dollars just to find the problem, plus what it would cost me to fix it. I saw that he was reading the voltage from inside plug i didn't see him test after the plug to verify weather or not it was the plug or not.

Also when he was checking the voltage of the TPS it kept jumping up and down (i dont remember the exact numbers) he would move the throttle and that would change the voltage :/

Originally Posted by shawnathan
Check a wiring digram and see if they share a common hot or ground if so chances are you cand just repair the the ground or wire and not have to replace your sensors.
will do.

thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle, High RPM's and Dying while driving