Ripped off...now what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Default Ripped off...now what?

First post here, sorry but I'm not a chevy guy but my son likes Camaros. He asked for a Camaro for his first car. I founda '94 3.4 v6 with a blown headgasket. At least that is what the seller insisted was wrong with it. so Itore the motor down and in my excitment Itook the heads to a machine shop. Now that I have all the parts and the heads back from the engine shop I go to put it back together and I found asmall crack in the block!! Yeah I know I screwed up but now I need to know what the best direction to go is? 305, 350, 4.3another 3.4? My thoughts are either a 305 or 350 but will the tranny bolt right up to these blocks? And if I go carberated what do I need to do with all the wiring? What is a good web sight? I'm not too worried about my son driving around aV8. ADVICE PLEASE.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Ripped off...now what?

Bellhousing is different for 3.4 to V8. Easiest way is to find a donor car for swapping to a V8, or just fi nd another V6 to dro p in. Chevrolet used the m in all sorts of cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...using_patterns

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_60-Degree_V6_engine

Old 08-10-2008, 04:27 PM

If I go with a V8 do I need to change the tranny too or just the bell housing? I will probably look for a 3.4 V6, but if I come across a V8...why not. Is a swap straight forward or is it complicated, that I should have a donor car? I'm a shade tree mechanic thatdoes all of my ownwork on cars but I've never swapped in a different engine in a car what does it take to make the V8 swap in one of these?

Old 08-10-2008, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member

v6 and v8 automatic trans are the same (460le) im almost positive.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member

The transmission may be the same but the case is not. V6's are a metric bellhousing whe re a small block chevy is not. The bellhousing/case is all one piece. If it's a manual it might work with a different bellhousing not sure on the length of the in put shaft but if it will work the 5 speed won't live long behind a V8, why they didn't us e it.

You will have to install a V8 Transmission. If you plan on running the electronics the n hav ing a donor car is going to be a must, if you plan on just making it run then you can make any SB chevy/transmission work.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:29 PM

If you were to do an engine swap your best bet would be to either find a donor car or sell the one you have and buy one with the v8 already in it. Off the top of my head I know you would at least have to change the position of the motor mounts, new radiator, E.C.M., and possibly the K-member. It really depends on how much trouble you want to go through. If you got a new 3.4 block you could still do some upgrades to get more power out of it. Comp Cams makes a cam for this application that is a good upgrade over the stock one (part# 16-115-4). It all just depends how much time, money, and effort you want to put in to the car.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:29 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you want to keep a 3.4, I would haveyour block looked at. Cast iron can be repaired, and you may befortunate enoughsince you have a "small" crack.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:47 AM

After closer examination I'venarrowed my choicesto put another 3.4 in it or buy another Camaro.(that not so "small" crack has thecylinder wallpushed into cyl #6). A V8 is too much work for the money. I can buy a Camaro with a V8 in it for the effort and time required. I can street polish the heads and port match them and that will help a little but I have to remember although my son is a good driver he is still 16 and he can buy his own V8 Camaro when he is older. Thanks for the replies, I will look into a Comp Cam. Any other little things I can do and should do while the engine is out? It seems like every time I do something major to a car someone sayes "you should have done this" now is your oppurtunity. Thanks ifor the relies and advice.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:10 PM

Ended up buying an "89 IROC with a 305. It has some issues but it runs.
Kinda: https://camaroforums.com/m_236922/mp.../tm.htm#236922

I have the '94 up for sale.$600 firm. I can put a 3.4engine in it this winter if it dosen't sell for $600.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:27 PM
noz
1st Gear Member

this case if you swap the engine is not difficult is the same body go for a v8 make sure it comes with the pcm and all the harnesses that come with it should be easy.

Quick Reply: Ripped off...now what?