Replacing the Opti with a distributor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 05:19 AM
Default Replacing the Opti with a distributor?

Has anyone done this? If so how did you do it? Any and all info appreciated!

Old 01-19-2012, 08:59 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It can, and has been done, but why do you want to do that? Most of the applications I've seen done are in the C4 Vettes, or when an LT1 is put in an older car. The rear of the intake needs to be drilled open, and an angled spacer needs to be made/attached to the intake so the distributor sits right. Your main issue would be with not having any vertical clearance under the cowl to drop the distributor down in. As well as other wiring or computer issues you may run into. As bad of a positioning design as the opti is, it's in front because there is no room in back. When you consider the good majority of factory optisparks lasted upward of 100k miles, a good replacement one should outlast your ownership of the car.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

someone makes a intake manifold for the lt1 with the dizzy hole. i have thought about using my extra lt1 in the netter with one.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Tech Droid

It seems to me that if you intend to use the LT1 with the factory fuel injection, you will need to keep the opti. If for no other reason, to provide timing signals to the control computer.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

There was a guy (LT1intake.com) who used to. No longer does, and the link is dead. I've also seen a guy on ebay who would convert your intake.
I can't imagine doing these conversions is much of a get rich business though, which may be why these guys have fallen out of sight.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If I remember right going the other direction would be a lot easier. Ls1 type ignition. We had a thread here with a lot of info in it?

Old 01-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by z28pete
It seems to me that if you intend to use the LT1 with the factory fuel injection, you will need to keep the opti. If for no other reason, to provide timing signals to the control computer.
You would, so the injectors know when to fire. Another reason why it would be more hassle than it's worth, you're not totally getting rid of the opti. If you wanted to put the LT1 in a different car and turn it old school with a carb, that's a different story.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Gorn
If I remember right going the other direction would be a lot easier. Ls1 type ignition. We had a thread here with a lot of info in it?
There are a couple different options. An LTCC LS1 coil to plug conversion, which retains the opti for triggering purposes only. Bailey LTCC setup Greenarrow here has done that conversion on his car. Or EFI connection makes a conversion that totally removes the opti. It has it's own crank trigger, computer, and it's expensive.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:23 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
There are a couple different options. An LTCC LS1 coil to plug conversion, which retains the opti for triggering purposes only. Bailey LTCC setup Greenarrow here has done that conversion on his car. Or EFI connection makes a conversion that totally removes the opti. It has it's own crank trigger, computer, and it's expensive.
You can use a LS computer and coilpacks with a LT1 along with the EFI connection crank trigger only and that is supposed to work well. That totally rids you of the opti as well for less money than the complete EFI connection kit. This is my next goal if I end up keeping my car.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Your ears musta been ringing! lol
Don't forget to let me know before you toss that old crummy unwanted LTCC setup in the garbage.

Quick Reply: Replacing the Opti with a distributor?