Replacing The Driver's Side door

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:25 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Talking Replacing The Driver's Side door

So I saw an add on craigslist for a 1994 Z28 being parted out. He said the car was burgundy and I almost cried. I asked what he wanted for the door and he said he would give me the door, and everything that goes to the door for $150. The only issue is that his door has power windows, locks, and mirrors. The door will not come with a mirror. I will either have to rig up my non power mirror or go to the junkyard to find a power mirror. So this is my question to you: How hard is it to wire up the power windows and locks to work in my car? I know I'll have to change out the key part of the lock system so that my keys will unlock it. Or is that even possible? Also I would like to eventually get the guts out of a passenger side door that has the power windows and locks. So is my car already wired up for that stuff or am I going to have to do all the wiring???

He also has a driver's side seat with no rips or tears that he said he would give me for $40. It's a power seat. And I already have the wiring for that under my carpet That's what made me wonder if maybe my car already has the wiring for the power windows too.

And here's a question for Massey and Camaro69. Or at least I know for sure they will know the answer to this. How hard is it to swap a door? I know Massey has done it before. So some insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-20-2011, 09:41 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I dont know about the wiring issues. But i just removed my drivers door on my 98Z. If you can just remove the nuts from the door to the hinge this will make installing and lining up the door easier. I had to remove the lower hindge from the body to replace the wheel that holds the door open. I even marked the hindge before I removed from the body and still had to take the door back off to adjust it alittle.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:27 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Anyone know about the wiring?

Old 01-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You have a reasonably priced door that matches your car for sale near you. Whether to buy it or not is a no-brainer. Then deal with the wiring issue. I haven't converted to power windows on one of these, but have with older cars where all it took was the additional factory wiring harness and related relays that plugged into existing pigtails in the underdash harness and fuse panel. Can't say yours will be that easy, but it just might be. If you do get that door, be sure to get the wiring harness that's attached. If you're going to be the one to take the door off his car, then you can trace the wires under the dash to know what they connect to. Take a look at your hinge pillar, see if you don't see a plastic plug where the harness conduit will connect to.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Now that I think about it, you have door speakers don't you? Then you already have the door to pillar rubber boot/conduit in place.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:38 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes I already have the rubber boots in place. And a slot big enough for the wiring to go through. All the doors on the 1994's were the same. It's just the fact that they didn't put the parts in the car for power options. I even have the wire under my MANUAL seat for a power seat. Thanks GM!!!

Old 01-20-2011, 03:39 PM
3rd Gear Member

use his car as a gunnea pig and open his dash and pull whats necessary take pics of his to compare what yours has/needs

Old 01-20-2011, 03:42 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I'm not so sure he'll like me ripping into his dash lol

Old 01-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You shouldn't have to go ripping into his dash, more like digging under it. The wires you may have an issue with would be the dual control ones that go from the drivers door over to the passenger door.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:03 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah I don't want to have to do too much digging. And hey, I might get really lucky and already have wiring in place for it. I mean after all, I have wiring for a power seat. Yet I have manual seats. Makes a whole lot of sense eh? hahaha GM, and their uniqueness...

Quick Reply: Replacing The Driver's Side door