Removing Engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 08:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I bought a 99 last week knowing it had a blown head gasket and rod knock so I am going to remove my engine tommorow. Gorn could you shoot me the PDF you are talking about. I dont think I have Private message privileges yet. send it to: joe at joefoster dot com

Old 12-04-2010, 08:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Also I was wondering. Going out the bottom is it possible to somehow unbolt the air cond compressor and just swing it out of the way to where you do not have to actually bust open the system

Old 12-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by AlaJoe
Also I was wondering. Going out the bottom is it possible to somehow unbolt the air cond compressor and just swing it out of the way to where you do not have to actually bust open the system

Yup that is exactly what I did, Just crawl under the car you will be able to see how it attaches and the hose is flexable enough to swing over by the battery.

Massey

Old 12-04-2010, 02:17 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I pulled my 3.4 out of the top and I will drop it from the bottom next time. Pulling from the top was such a pita.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't know why this is an arguement. How do you think they built them? You pull the motor and tranny out in one piece, it's a lot easier to seperate and stab back together out of the car. Besides you can service the tranny and maybe put in a shift kit while it's all out. You also run a much lower chance of damaging your paint job and other engine compartment components. The link I posted earlier shows it step by step. I used an A-Frame a while back on a chevy van, years ago, still have it, I am preping a donor V-6 car for one of my projects and borrowed a 2 ton chain hoist to use on my a-frame. I built a small rolling cradle for the k-member to rest on out of steel u-channels so I can adjust the size when I pull the LT1 out of my Z, next project. Just make sure that the cradle fits between the wheels, even though it is best to take them off. Build the Jack stand "stands" that are on the link, that way you have a clear path out of the front of the car if you use a cherry picker, don't need them with an a-frame. Watch out for snagging lines and wire looms on the way up, something always snags.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Somebody sent me the PDf. I have spent the better part of the last two days on this and the motor is out. I have to say I am not sure if I were going to do it again if I would go the bottom route. I post more later but I am just plain beat right now. When you are 45 years old and have an office job doing this is like real work.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by AlaJoe
Somebody sent me the PDf. I have spent the better part of the last two days on this and the motor is out. I have to say I am not sure if I were going to do it again if I would go the bottom route. I post more later but I am just plain beat right now. When you are 45 years old and have an office job doing this is like real work.
We never said it was easy, we just said it was easyer the going out the top. One of the biggest issues with getting the motor out the top is that the exhaust manifold have to be removed while the motor is still in the car. That in itself is a huge pain. I think the upper intake needs to come off, Also a huge pain while the motor is still in. I have read post from guys that have done it both way. Not a single one so far has thought they would ever pull the motor from the top again.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya, no one said either was easy! But I be your knuckles are in better shape than if you'd pulled it from the top! You now have the whole front suspension out as well, a lot easier to check and do maintence on while it's out. you can also take this time to do a real good cleaning of your engine comparment! You'll really thank us when you put it back in the same way.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:08 AM

Great info thanks!

Old 12-07-2010, 08:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Alajoe, could you send me the pdf you received in a pm, I want to compare it to what I have. Never say no to new info, right? Did you take any pics? BTW, it doesn't get any easier when your on the other side of 50 either, that's why you pay the neighbor kid to help you, you know, the one that's always wanting to mow your yard.

Quick Reply: Removing Engine