Removing Engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 01:08 PM
ROTM Director
Ride of the Month Director
Default Removing Engine

So finally, after a few months, I am in a house that has a garage for the Camaro, and I have started working on it.

I want to drop the whole front clip and roll it out from under the car. I heard this was easier than pulling the engine in the traditional style of through the engine bay.

The Haynes manual I have is useless for this as it shows how to pull the engine through the bay.

A- Is it in fact easier to drop the clip and roll everything out?
B- If I do drop the clip, is there any surprises I should be aware of?

Old 12-03-2010, 02:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

First I would not use the term "clip" because that makes me think of the fenders, bumper and hood structure.

When I tried to remove an engine from above on a donor Camaro I learned my lessons the hard way. Number one lesson was there are more bolts and parts required to remove from the top then the from the bottom.

Number two lesson was when the engine is removed from the bottom you have the ability to roll the structure out from underneath the car.

It is a lot easier to take the motor out the bottom versus the top which is how the dealership would do this if they were working on the car.

I am sure others can chime in on this but as long as you have a garage and jacks or an engine hoist you should be able to do it. Just make sure you disconnect your wire harness and wheel sensors.

I recommend cleaning out your heater hoses and heater core when you have your engine out. Mine was plugged. The car was running too hot, now it runs at 180 to 195.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Detroit, shoot me a PM with your email in. I have a PDF that shows you a step by step for a V8.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:59 PM
2nd Gear member

drop drop drop... you dont even have to remove the radiator
alls you need is a few jack stands, a jack, and a rolling cart to roll the engine/trans out

and common sense to conquer the above

Old 12-03-2010, 04:41 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

out the bottom for sure

Old 12-03-2010, 06:05 PM
ROTM Director
Ride of the Month Director

gorn, PM sent.

everyone else, thanks for the help.

hopefully i can get it out in the coming week. i have a diesel block sitting on my engine stand that i need to move. after that, hopefully i will get her out!

Old 12-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

In the info I sent they have a lift. Most of us poor people use a cherry picker like below. Make your you give yourself plenty of room, remember what your pulling is as wide as the car itself. You may want to back the car in. Being able to pressure wash the K frame would be nice

Name:  Liftcar.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  52.5 KB

Last edited by Gorn; 12-03-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Try this link, I have an aframe, but this works too, you can actually use a real heavy duty creeper.
http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html
Have fun1

Old 12-03-2010, 10:32 PM
2nd Gear member

I dropped everything out the bottom on my 94 V6. It's definitely the way to go but i would do a few things differently if i had to do it again:
1) I'd remove the LCAs and struts from the subframe early in the process. The assembly is more compact and there's less stuff to flop around if you do this. (Ignore this if you know that the bushings, balljoints, etc. are good and don't need to be touched.)
2) Remove the RH kickpanel and disconnect the 3? connectors that tie the engine harness to the dash harness. Then draw those connectors through the bulkhead into the engine compartment. Leave all the wiring attached to the engine and lay the PCM on top as the engine lowers. (I *installed* my drivetrain this way but removed it by trying to disconnect everything first. Mistake.)
3) I'd disconnect and unclip the front brake tubing and remove the pipes early in the process. Disconnecting them from the ABS hydraulic unit and bending them out of the way sucks. Plus if you leave them in place on the subframe you have to lift the body very high for them to clear. PITA.

Attached Thumbnails Removing Engine-p5070042.jpg  
Old 12-04-2010, 04:42 AM
Overdrive Member

Yup bottom is the way to go. Use the cherry picker to lift the car not the engine!! I put my car up on jackstands as high as I could then I used the cherry picker to lift the car higher. I used 2 floor jacks to lower the engine down safely and set it on a creeper. Move everything out of the way and roll the engine out. Watch out you dont bend the **** out of your brake lines they really dont want to stay out of the way when the K-member and engine come down.

Massey

Quick Reply: Removing Engine